1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB 10-15 gal hex tank

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by adampottebaum, Mar 22, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I'm looking for something around that size for a sea horse tank. Let me know if anyone knows of anything.
    Adam

2. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got a 10 Gal hex with stand, but it is drill at about 2 to 3 inches from the top

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    p/m sent

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a link to a 30 hex for $50 http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/for/1082212402.html

5. ReeferDave

ReeferDave Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would think the 30 or larger would be more appropriate for sea horses, being easier to keep the water in line and what not. they are a fun species to keep if you have the time to devote to them!!!

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea a 30 gal would be nicer but my reef tank is in my room so space is limited. I'm having the water be fed from my 72 gallon reef with a 29 gal. sump with real good filtration, so water quality will be very good for them. The water feed will come from a siphon from the 72 display to the seahorse tank and then it overflows back into my sump. It will be pretty low flow but a good turnover rate for them. I have the tank and everything now, so thanks to everyone for the input and help, I'll add more info when I get my lil ponies!
    Adam

7. ReeferDave

ReeferDave Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow sounds like a good setup that will work out good for them. like i said before they are a very fun and interesting aquarium inhabitant. i had them for a few years and they were breeding and stuff and next thing i knwe i had multiple aquraiums set up and brine shrimp hatchery, grow out farm, green water, copods etc... just to try and get them to live... way to much for a single bedroom apt.  let alone i was working like 65-70 hours a week at the time. i ended up putting them up for adoption at the store due to lack of time and space. but hopefully i will be able to enjoy them again someday now that i bought a house and have more room. cant wait to see pics of everything including the siphon/ overflow system between tanks. good luck and have fun with it!

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Little Pony?
    [​IMG]

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I've been doing a ton of research on them and it's gonna be quite tricky to raise them in my room. I've heard there are higher survival rates in smaller tanks that are densely packed when they are young, I have a 3 gallon hex tank right now that I'm using the siphon/overflow on right now where I have my mangroves and some other plants in that would work great. As soon as I get the 10 gallon going I'm going to put all the plants into that tank and I'll be getting a tree sponge and a yellow finger gorgonian this week sometime when ever my friend puts our order in. I also was wondering about the reef nutrition brand tiger pods, would they work as baby seahorse food? I bought a bottle a while ago to feed to my corals and I had a couple picky eaters I just bought so I wanted them to be eating well and the tiger pods are super packed and they last for a while, so I think that would be a well worthy shot at feeding them. Also, I think I'll be ordering the two seahorses on a site that sells them sexed so I know I'll get 1 male, 1 femail, but also that site sells live mysis shrimp, so I think I'll buy a batch of 250-500 and get a culture going of them. They can also be tasty treats to the adults!

Also- WOW, that picture is halarious!

10. ReeferDave

ReeferDave Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like your doing some good research. and i think it will all be trial and error method of research for the most part with these bugers but i think i found that the pods are even too big for the lil baby horses. but its all worth a try its a fun experience to see. and yeah if you have any other questions on anything ill try and help!! good luck!

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Getting live mysis going sounds cool. I would be interested in hearing how you do with that. And the pic...I couldn't resist after you said "I'll add more info when I get my lil ponies!" lol

--AJ