1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tip Accessing your GIRS account

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Hello, and welcome to the New Greater Iowa Reef Society forum!

On April 25th, 2015 we changed the forum software to Xenforo!

Passwords were not retained, so you will need to follow a few steps in order to access your account for the first time.

DO NOT TRY TO ENTER A PASSWORD.

All passwords were permanently deleted (blanked out, wiped out, gone, forever). You will need to RESET your password in order to gain access to your account!

This post explains exactly what you have to do, and what steps to follow if it appears that something is not working right! PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST!

The email address that is currently associated with your account must still be valid! Please see item #3 below for more information.

To access your account:

Click the Log in or Sign Up link, or the Sign Up Now button

GIRS 1.JPG

Click the Forgot your password? link

GIRS 2.JPG

Enter your Username OR your e-mail address. Some Usernames needed to change slightly, so refer back to the e-mail you received, which will contain your Username

Complete the Verification step (CAPTCHA) and click the Reset Password link

GIRS 3.JPG

After clicking the link you will see this page

GIRS 6.JPG

Check your e-mail for the Password reset e-mail, which contains a link to reset your password. Simply click the link in the message.

GIRS 4.JPG

If you do not receive this e-mail within a few minutes:

1) check your Spam folder (and if it's there, whitelist noreply@greateriowareefsociety.org to prevent if from being treated as spam/junk again)

If you are seeing this issue and are using hotmail, yahoo, gmail, or AOL, I have written guides for whilelisting on my personal forum, I just haven't had time to re-do them and make them GIRS specific. Until then you can check them out and just remember that you have to substitute the GIRS email whenever it calls out to whiltelist the email address (the "noreply" one) or use "greateriowareefsociety" or "greateriowareefsociety.org "instead of "algaescrubbing", etc...

Attention: Hotmail (or any Microsoft) e-mail users

Attention: Yahoo e-mail users

Attention: Gmail users

Attention: AOL e-mail users

THIS ISSUE IS THE MAIN REASON FOR THE ACCOUNT PURGE. INACTIVE ACCOUNTS WHERE MESSAGES ARE ROUTINELY GOING TO JUNK/SPAM ARE CAUSING EMAIL REPUTATION ISSUES. YOU MAY NOT BE AWARE THAT YOUR INACTIVE ACCOUNT IS CAUSING PROBLEMS!

If enough people correct this issue, then the pendulum will swing the other way and it will be much less of an issue. But since so many people have abandoned their accounts and just let emails go to junk/spam, we have to purge inactive accounts.

2) If it's not in Spam, it's possible that delivery is just taking a bit longer. This is due to the GoDaddy email relay server, which handles email for all of their customers and it gets backed up quite often. The e-mail will eventually go through. The longest delivery time is typically 4 to 5 minutes. We will likely switch hosts at the earliest opportunity due to GoDaddy's refusal to address this issue.

This issue has been rectified. We are now delivering emails via a third-party system (which is free) called Pepipost. You will receive the email immediately (within 5 seconds in most cases).

If you don't get the email within 1 minute, I can almost 100% guarantee you that it went to a junk mail or spam folder. If you didn't get it at all, then see #3, 4, and 5 below.

3) Your email address tied to your account may be invalid and it "bounces" back to the forum. What will generally happen in this case is that if you try to reset your password enough times, or if the system gets enough "bounces" it will flag your account email as invalid and you will see a notice at the top of the screen. Unfortunately, since you can't log in, you'll never see that notice. Contact the Webmaster to get this fixed (see the next post in this thread).

4) If you still don't get the e-mail, then it could be your e-mail provider that is blocking emails from GIRS before they get to you - and they won't even bounce back to us. Hotmail, MSN, Outlook, etc (anything Microsoft based) will have a tendency to do this - check the junk folder, and better yet, just add the entire domain "greateriowareefsociety.org" to your Safe Senders list. For Yahoo, whitelist noreply@greateriowareefsociety.org or create a filter to direct all messages from that address to your Inbox. For Gmail, simply add that email address to your Contacts List. For AOL, add to whitelist. Apple emails (icloud, mac, apple, me, etc) do not give the users the ability to whitelist anyone, therefore I do not recommend using any apple-based email addresses (for any forum). See the links above for whitelisting process under #1 above

5) If you don't use one of the freebie type emails, it's possible that your provider is blocking GIRS completely. This is the case with ImOnMail and southslope.net and I'm sure a few others, but these are the ones I have routinely noticed. I am working with both of these to rectify.

After you click the link in the e-mail, you will be taken back to the site and you will see this page

GIRS 7.JPG

Check your e-mail for the second message which contains a randomly generated password

GIRS 5.JPG

Highlight the password and copy it (right click mouse or tap & hold, then select Copy) and then click the Log In link. This will take you to the site again, where you can now fill in your Username or e-mail address, and Paste the password

GIRS 10.JPG

After you do this, you should be logged in. Next, you should change your password to one that you can remember, like so:

Hover your cursor over the User Icon on the right side of the toolbar. You will get a pop-up menu. Find the Password link, and click it.

GIRS 8.jpg

Paste the password from the email in the Your Existing Password field (just right-click / tap & hold, then Paste), then enter your new password and confirm it (by typing it again), then save.

GIRS 9.JPG

Then of course, write down your password or etch it into your brain. Not literally please.

That's the process folks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    If you have any problems, scroll the to bottom of the site and click the Contact Us link

GIRS 11.JPG

This will bring up an overlay where you can type your message, and we will take care of your issue as soon as possible

GIRS 12.JPG

I can 100% personally guarantee you that I will reply to you. In fact you will immediately get an auto-reply. If you don't immediately (and I mean, within seconds) get an auto-reply, then that auto-reply went to junk mail and so wil my responses!

If I reply to you and I don't hear back from you, I will try you from my personal email. Multiple times. So please reply back to me so I can help you, and so I know that my messages are getting through.

I try very hard to make sure that everyone is set up right! But you need to make sure that your service isn't filtering GIRS messages, or else I'm going to have a really hard time helping you out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Bumping this thread. If you are coming here to regain access to your account per the Account Purge, please read the above posts thoroughly.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    why not sticky it for awhile?

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    It is already stickied, in this sub-forum. If you mean make it an article, I can do that but that was done for the first few months after the conversion....