1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Wow, Just checked out Aquatic Environments in Davenport

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by JB, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I finally managed to check out A.E. today while visiting my parents.   What a great store! 
    Fantastic display tanks...
    Clean, Clean, Clean (did not smell anything like a pet store)...
    Great product selection...
    Great livestock selection...
    You all are really lucky to have a great store like that.
    -JB

2. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was in there last year when there was the frag auction in the quad cities and I have to tell you if you didn't know any better you wouldn't be able to tell the sell all sorts of animals. I was very impressed with the selection also. Lookin forward to going back sometime.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I definitely agree.

Personally I think it is the nicest LFS in the state, especially if you want more then mushrooms in your tank.

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd agree with you guys. I've been to alot of fish stores in IL too and not many even come close to AE. They always have alot of staff there to help. Their store is always clean and well stocked. They always have a great selection of fish and a good selection of coral. Top notch place all around.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it in Davenport? I'd like to go some weekend, but not sure which quad city it's in......

6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, It is in Davenport. Just take the Kimberly exit west. It is down a mile and a half on the right hand side.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think the thing that most impressed me about that place is that it's setup to convince people that a saltwater tank could look really good in their house. I guess you could describe them as having a "showroom feel".
    I'd be willing to wager that they bring conciderably more people into the hobby than other LFS's relative to the number of prospective customers that come through the door.
    View Larger Map
    -JB

8. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My co-worker and I make special "browsing" trips down to AE from Dubuque every month or so.  Usually they end up as more than just browsing trips as we always find something we want.  I think AE is better than some of the stores I used to frequent back home in Minneapolis.

9. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 07/06/2008 12:35 PM
    Is it in Davenport? I'd like to go some weekend, but not sure which quad city it's in......
    Yep Davenport. Bring me corals and I will personally take you on a tour/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

10. Modemagic

Modemagic Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've traveled all over creation and luckily for the QC crew.... we have AE practically in our backyard.  Everyone in the crew in the store is VERY knowledgeable in SW stuff, and more then willing to help you.  I even have a few of the employees' cell numbers for those 'In Case Of Emergency' cases.  I've also had them flat out tell me they would not sell me things from time to time due to potential problems, (sick fish, LR that was solid and super heavy, etc.)  In the last two years or so, they have quite a bit of my money, but I'll go back and continue to do so.  They also recognize that the correct answer isn't always on a shelf within the confines of their showroom. 

It's because of this high level of customer service going above and beyond what they need to, along with a store that speaks for itsself, that they have me as a loyal customer.

11. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree Modemagic......AE is the BEST store in my opinion. I was just there Sunday. And ofcouse you can not just go and see whats new, you always have to bring something home no matter if its a new fish or coral. And in some cases atleast for me both.

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree, AE is a very clean, well run store with excellent customer service.  You always have assistance within a minute of walking in the door....ALWAYS!  I've bought a little bit of everything there over the years and been happy with everything I've bought.  And yes, I've been told that an item was not appropriate at times which is not always something you are going to hear at a LFS since it might mean losing a sale on a particular item.   I feel very fortunate that we have such a great store in the QCA.

13. Modemagic

Modemagic Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A little known fact about AE is that Adam and his crew do onsite setup and maintenance of both in home and commerical accounts. He has a tank in just about every doctors office in the Quad Cities, and they are all very well maintained.

14. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My dad was involved with Adam back when he started his first store.  Back then my dad was in the buisness of importing marine animals to the quad-cities area.   Adam is a great businessman and very personable.   I had him and one of his employees install my most recent tank and they did a great job.

15. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I first went in there to get fish for my girlfriend's 10 gallon. I now have 2 salt and a 55 fresh. Their display tanks are awesome.

16. SWaquariast

SWaquariast New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in there once a week. I love it, only buy livestock from them.
    P.S. A.E. you guys are the best.-Mitch

17. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By SWaquariast on 11/30/2008 06:23 PM
    I'm in there once a week. I love it, only buy livestock from them.
    P.S. A.E. you guys are the best.-Mitch
    Hmmm I think someone is hunting for some brownie points or an extra 10% off...  [​IMG]

18. SWaquariast

SWaquariast New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No they are seriously the best shop in the midwest.

19. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's the best saltwater store I've ever seen. All the employees are knowledgeable about the hobby and their service is really top notch. It speaks volumes that every time I go in there he has 5-6 people helping out hobbyists and they're always busy. On top of that, they do such a high volume business their prices are more in line with what you'd expect to see on the internet as opposed to in a pet store.

20. Deleted member 257

Deleted member 257 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya its a great store, but its pricey for me most of the time, and I have had them tell me I needed stuff for my aquarium when later I found out that I did not need it. Also they have helped me set up one aquarium, but never told me about how a fish tank cycles I lost alot of fish and money that way, or sold me a biological filtration they sold me just a skimmer for the tank. There ok in my book.