1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Woohoo! Possible baby chitons!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jun 13, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    When we did the CR group cleanup crew buy earlier in the year, I picked up a few chitons.   These are algae eating machines and they've done a great job of keeping nuisance algae out of my frag tank.
    Tonight I noticed what looks to be baby chitons (about 1/4" long) on the glass in my refugium!   Nice!   Hopefully they make it to my display tank as well.
    -JB

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's cool! I wish some of the snails that I have did a better job at cleaning up the glass. Maybe I just need more of them. I don't have chitons...maybe I should get some. Good luck with the little guys!

--AJ

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey JB, do they do any good on the egg crate? I am fighting hair algae on my racks.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Joel,

I used to have nasty hair algea problems in my Frag Tank, but I added a combo of chitons, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and a few other types of snail and it's really helped clean things up. I still have some problems with the glass, but the frag rack and the frags themselves stay clean so it's most likely the Emeralds that are doing most of the work.

-JB

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to sidetrack the thread JB. Thanks a lot, looks like I am going shopping. Are those emeralds able to get on raised egg crate shelves as well?

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The emerald in my 10g display is somehow able to scale the glass about half way, sometimes more. I douvt that it will have much trouble getting up your egg crate /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif