1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

well water and water softener

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am moving soon and the new place has well water and a water softener, they inspected the well and found it safe for humans to drink, i am waiting on the test to get back to me. My question is i'm assuming i need to bypass the  water softener hook up and just use the virgin well water to my ro/di unit?  I cannot get rural water out there till spring.   And how about dumping salt water in the septic?  
    Thanks Wayne

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have a well with a softener & I just use the softened water to run through my RODI

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I believe the water softener is gonna act like a pre filter for RODI, it should drastically increase the filter/membrane life of your RODI. If i am wrong on this someone please let me know as i am going to be adding a softener to my house soon and was sort of wondering the same thing.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we do the same...... I don't think the small amount of SW you put into your septic tank will do much harm in regards to the bacteria balance, from what I've read.  Unless you have a huge SW system and do quite a few water changes, I'm sure it will be fine.

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, i will use my softener first then through the ro/di..