1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Throwback to 2014 when Petco bought out DFS/LA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoodGreef, Jan 10, 2019.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    As you may have heard it looks like DFS/Live Aquaria is majorly downsizing. Here's an old thread when Petco first took over for nostalgia/anger.
    Interesting

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
  3. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Anybody buying anything from the Drs. Foster and Smith website now that they're closing? Wondering if they have any good sales worth looking at.

4. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I do remember before Petco took over DFS was the biggest employer in the Rhinelander area with over 600 employees but now it said I think around 260 would lose their jobs so Petco had already slowly downsized , its a shame but that’s how big business works by gobbleing up the competition.

5. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    5 gallon bucket(30lbs) Magnesium Sulfate - $20!...I got mine!...won't need to buy that again for a while now.

6. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So sad. They do intend to keep the aquacuture facility open. For now. Did any of you made it up there in their hay day for their annual frag swap events? I bought some great corals up there and in the three day selling events I old more there than I ever did at a frag swap anywhere in the country. More even than the Madison events.

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Some members of GIRS road tripped up to Rhinelander to tour the facility. They might possibly still give tours even though the store is closed? It could be something to check into.

8. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    What a shame.

9. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    its a shame because between the two Drs F & S was the higher quality operation. I have purchased a lot from them over the years, live stock and supplies and before Petco took over I was selling them live animals for divers den. I miss the old days.

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Petco announced to its employees at Drs. Foster and Smith on Wednesday that the national pet supply retailer will permanently close all operations, "with the exception of Live Aquaria, within the facility" in Rhinelander, according to a letter sent to Newswatch 12 from a current employee.

11. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

I received this in an email last night

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. nlandgraf

nlandgraf

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have a credit and two gift certificates that I need to use up, looks like I better get on that sooner rather than later. I called to make sure they can be used on the Live Aquaria site. That will be a nice boost to getting some livestock in the tank!