1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The Official Des Moines Area Beer Thread...

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by ZLTFUL, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since the other thread is getting WAY off topic, I thought i would take the initiative and start this thread.
    Some of my recent favorites....
    Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ale...A member of the Ducati Monster List drew my name in the secret Santa drawing and sent me a case of this dark seasonal ale...7.5%, very tasty and all gone now. Definitely ranks in my top 5 of winter brews.
    Spaten Lager...It's lighter of course but a nice light beer you can down lots of if you haven't had much to eat.
    Actually...I just love beer period. As long as it isn't Bud, Busch, etc.
    Summer time, for mainstream drinking with tasty Mexican food, Dos Equis either Amber or Special Lager...
    I just like beer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My absolute favorite was drinking Red Stripe at 10am on the beach in Negril, jamaica.... nothing better then that! Even their Red Stripe Light wasn't bad at all!

I'm a red stripe and Bud man myself....mmmmmmmmmm thirsty...

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I'm drinking crappy beer it's either Natty Light or Budweiser (occasionally Coors if I can find it). Although the only stuff I can't drink is Busch Light and Keystone Light. I'll head over to crappy beer night occasionally for some PBR and Hamm's.

For good beer I like anything, the darker the better. Anything by New Belgium Brewery is great, especially Fat Tire. I love the selection at the Haus and El Bait Shop (yet to find a beer I don't like at either place). Sam Adams usually makes great brews. Newcastle. Chimay. Blue Moon.

I definitely miss living in Colorado where there are micro brews galore - so many good beers to choose from.

4. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for starting a new thread, I didnt mean to sidetrack the thread. Nothing brings people together like good beer though.

I think my crappy beer is Pabst. Its really not all that bad.

If you want to try a really good pilsner though, check out pilsner urquell. They actually have it on tap along with smithwicks at the Bonefish Grill by Jordan Creek.

5. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My crappy beer preference is Miller High Life or PBR. That's what we would steal from my great-uncles and grnadpa when we would go camping with them as kids (13-15 year olds)

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, how do we nominate this for thread of the year? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif Crappy beers is only fitting on crappy beer nights. Schlitz and Hamm's is right up there for me on those nights. My regular beer of choice is Sam Adam's light. But I'll try any import out there because I'm a junkie like that!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's no way to narrow the selection down to favorites.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan (Holl - god there's too many Ryan's) How's your homebrew kit working? Do anything with it yet or is it still just sitting in your hallway?

9. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    anybody ever go to the firkin and fox, they got lots of darker hoppy beers on tap...nice place to hang out too...

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mmm...IPA's sound good right about now! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

11. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Posted By acidlittle on 01/18/2008 2:00 PM
    anybody ever go to the firkin and fox, they got lots of darker hoppy beers on tap...nice place to hang out too...
    Yep, sure have. Its a pretty nice little pub.