1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 12/02/2007 9:17 AM
    Hey Al, is it possible to put the skimmer in sump? If there is no advantage to making it external, I think it would be better to have it in sump just in case it overflows again.
    I don't think theres room in the chamber for it.  If it does fit I would need to put in there the pump would need to go into the refugium

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be heading over to AE this morning to get some LR.  The should be able to get me the right sized tubing.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the sand that will be going in.
    [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where do you get that sand? ive looked for it and cant find it around here... what city are you in?

im just curious. thanks!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in Bettendorf.  Yes, it's very hard to find, I actually picked this up about a year and half ago.  A guy from a Colorado reef club had gone out east with a trailer and bought a bunch of it.  He contacted reef clubs along the 1-80 corridor and sold bags of it to people who contacted him, Atticus and I bought about 5 bags. I think a few other folks from GIRS bought some too.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went to AE and picked up some figi LR.  It's  was pretty nice and porous, $5.99 a lb, I bought 12 lbs. 

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can find that sand at lowes mybrother bought it thair for his reef tank but thats been like 2 years ago i ask him he said thay still have it i duno

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sand Storm
    [​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's still cloudy, I can see the rock though, about 3 or 4 inches of sand.  I was thinking about turning on the return, but I'll wait one more day.  My light are on their way, I'll be nice to get everything in place.

10. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Fire it up and let the skimmer and maybe a coffee filter working on it.

11. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I ran two HOB HOT Magnums on mine with the micron filters. Cleared up in about a day. My sand was used though and I actually wanted to filter out the muck.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I fired it up and the skimmer pulling gunk out it.  I had a canister filter but I gave to a friend.  Do you thing a hang on filter would help clear the water?

13. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    yep

14. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an extra 10 canister filter that I have used in the past with a cheap 5 micron filter element in it. I hook it to a mag5 I have and recirc it to the tank. I use it when I am cleaning crap out of my sump, works like a champ.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The tanks looking better now the water has cleared consderably. 
    Billy, I'd be interested in trying something like that.

16. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/04/2007 5:18 AM

The tanks looking better now the water has cleared consderably. 
    Billy, I'd be interested in trying something like that.
    It works good if I need to clean up an area that is normally hard to get at to clean. I put a hose on the inlet of the pump and pipe the outlet through the filter and back into the tank. I then just vacumm up the crap. I bought the canister at farm and fleet for next to nothing, I buy cheap sediment filters from wherever, and had the hose and barb fitting laying around. I really think anyone who has a sump would appreciate the effectiveness of this setup for cleaning corners and hard to get to areas.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got a mag 9, flexible nylon hose, barb fittings, just no cannister.  I'll stop by farm and fleet and see what I can come up with.

18. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would watch your tank parameters and make sure your rock is not leeching anything....Adam gets a great deal of his rock from tanks he has torn down. If the person medicated their tank, used copper or just had high phosphates they could leech out of the rock. You are most likely fine but it is worth keeping in the back of your mind if something doesnt seem right.

Now get that water cleared up!!....lol

looking good!

eins

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone in the QC's have a cannister pump I can borrow for a day or two?  I have another sandstorm since I fired up the HK3's.  I can locate the pump for hang on filter.

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just curious if you happened to rinse the sand before you put it in the tank? If not you're going to be having that problem everytime the sandbed gets disturbed. When I first setup a FW tank with rays I didn't rinse the sand and I ended up sucking it all out and rinsing it and putting it back in.