1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's going in the middle chamber of your sump? If anything, I would extend the output of the skimmer into the second chamber. By leaving it as is, the skimmer would theoretically recirculate water that has already been processed by the skimmer.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan to make the middle a refugium.  I'll work on a solution this weekend, this is something I overlooked during the build.   Anyway the tank is almost full, getting ready to crest the overflow.
    [​IMG]

3. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could put the skimmer output on the refugium side and then put the filter sock on it. This way, it won't disturb your refugium.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like a good idea, I have some PVC that I can extend it out some, I'll stop by AE tomorrow and pick up a filter sock.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What I did on my 29 I had is ran the skimmer output into the refugium section and then used 2 90's to route the output back up. That kept it from disturning the sand in my refugium and also got the processed water out of the sedtion where the skimmer was at so it was always taking in dirty water.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Billy, that sounds like a good idea, plus I have everything on hand to get it done.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I emailed Premium Aquatics last night to find out when I might get my lights and they responded right away.  I was told that they have been shipped, and should be here early next week [​IMG]  I have bought equipment and supplies from them in the past and they have alway's been great to work with, highly recommend PA.  The lights were slow in coming, but I've been watching the Aquatinic's and Premium Aquatics forums on reefcentral and these lights are in high demand.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used them when I first started out in the hobby. I didn't have anything to reference it to so I couldn't tell you the accuracy. For that price, I would buy it and then test your parameters with someone local with different test kits to see what you both come up with.

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AP test kits are very good and reliable, I use quite a number of them.
    The guys in the chemestry forums at RC all say the same thing...

GL
    eins

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My hydor koralia 3's are working great, they're noisy when the start on the wavemaker but through out some pretty good flow.  One problem the keep blowing out their flow concentrator nozzles and they go floating all over the place.  At this point I'm running the without the nozzles.  Do any of you Hydor owners have this problem?

12. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Huh?

Flow concentrator? Mine didn't come with those. You mean the front half of the housing?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's plastic part that snaps on to the front housing.  I tried looking for a picture of it online, and all the pics show them with out it attached.  Must not be that important.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've got the basic paramaters in line SG at 1.024, temp at 75.  I extended the skimmer return out to the refugium.  And I added some rock, I'll probably need to pick a few more pounds to get the pile higher on the left side.  It's still bare bottom, I still need to add sand,  I'm not looking forward to sand storm.
    Tank shot
    [​IMG]
    Sump area
    [​IMG]
    Skimmer
    [​IMG]

15. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Looking Good Al.

Word of warning. Skims looking a little wet. Everyone that has one of those at first sets it to wet and when it does finally break in it overflows. Your not new but I know that skimmer is prone to it during the break in stage.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/02/2007 8:52 AM
    Looking Good Al.
    Word of warning. Skims looking a little wet. Everyone that has one of those at first sets it to wet and when it does finally break in it overflows. Your not new but I know that skimmer is prone to it during the break in stage.
    I've already encountered overflowing during the tuning process.  I need a wet dry vac, I'm suppose to get one for christmas.  At least the linoleum is clean from all the mopping.  I notice that there's a place to connect some airline to the collection collect to output the skim to a buck or something, do you know what size tubing will fit there.  All the tubing I have on hand is to small.

17. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember the size but I do remember I got some of it at Lowe's.

18. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You do have a good sized vent hole drilled in the new output plumbing of the skimmer right. I am seeing a cap on the tee. It is vented right?

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/02/2007 9:03 AM
    You do have a good sized vent hole drilled in the new output plumbing of the skimmer right. I am seeing a cap on the tee. It is vented right?
    Yes, it's got a 1/4" hole on the top.

20. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Al, is it possible to put the skimmer in sump? If there is no advantage to making it external, I think it would be better to have it in sump just in case it overflows again.