1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

SOM Clown fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruggerkc, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Alright whos on Hungs list for his black clowns. I forgot what kind they are. They sure look great, especialy the babies all swimming around in a school.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    ya but the same exact fish on LA are only about $30. Why pay $65 - $125

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Were they Ocellaris? I couldn't remember, they sure were nice. I guess the reason you spend a little more on fish from SOM is the same reason I don't buy cars in other parts of the contry and have them shipped to me to save buck.

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you buy 2 I would hope hung would work with you on the price... They are black A. Ocellaris clowns.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I agree but $30 to $125 is a big difference. I dont mind supporting local people & paying a little more, but not when they get crazy. I am sure he will sell all of them at that price though.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you have a $30 fish and pay $30-40 for shipping, you've payed the same amount for a local fish (if his range is between $60-125) and you have a stressed out fish from shipping, plus the risk of delayed packages, heat packs going cold etc. Might be worth it to get one from him and avoid all the stress of shipping, imo.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree on supporting local business, I also enjoy actually going to a store and seeing what I'm getting before I get it, not to mention the trauma of shipping that fish must undergo in the mail. besides, it's kinda fun to go in, chat with Hung, and admire the temperment and beauty of the tanks. If I had room, i'd love to have one of the black clowns, not yet, maybe some day when i've got a bigger tank.

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that price is way too high, you cant justify the higher price by not having fish shipped, he didnt have them shipped either, so why pay an extroidinary price for the fish when you can get 3 for that price somewhere else.
    i seen a batch of the babies up there a few months back and they didnt look too good.
    ive never seen baby clowns before so im no expert, but the eyes didnt look proportionate to their bodies, in my experience with fry that points to stunting, another thing to look for a good shaped fish, i seen alot of babies in there that had misshapen heads and missing fins, which you will find in all hatches, they should have been culled though.
    if you are on that list i suggest you make sure you are getting a fish that has traits that justifies an ultra premium price.

9. gm333

gm333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If none of your LFS's are ordering ORA fish and corals talk them into looking into it. You do have to order a minimum amount but I dont think it is a whole lot. ORA has some excellent tank raised clown species. My favs are the naked clowns. Here is a couple pics I took of some that arrived at the store I help for.

This is a pic of the naked clown and black misbar percs
    [​IMG]
    The pair of naked clowns
    [​IMG]

10. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    If hungs price is too high, why is there a waiting list? As in the ones he has are all sold.

11. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 03/08/2008 2:42 PM
    If hungs price is too high, why is there a waiting list? As in the ones he has are all sold. some people have more money than brains./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wow.gif

12. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    theres nothing wrong with buying his fish, they are his and he can ask any price he wishes, its just an opinion of mine that he is asking a ultra high price for a fish that is nothing special other than its a novelty for people to see cute tank raised baby clowns.

it would be different if he was selling a fish that had a sought after trait or marking that would breed true or something to that affect, they are nothing but tank bred black and white clownfish.

there are club members here who have bred clowfish and im not gonna speak for them, but ill bet they would never even consider selling a clown for 100 dollars, and if they did i doubt they would sell any.

there are well known clown breeders who are selling fish with very saught after traits and their price doesnt even come close to that price.

im not trying to start an arguement or be an a$$, just look at the facts and im sure anyone can come to the same conclusion i have.

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I agree with everything that Sean said!

And when we order from LA, 10-20 fish is still only $30 shipping.

Does hung offer a 15 day guarantee for those prices?

My shop has excellent mechanics & service. We have very loyal customers, but I bet if I charged $100 for an oil change
    even my most loyal customer would wonder why I was putting the screws to them.

Now if you want to buy local & spend $100 on a $30 fish go ahead. It is a free country. I am just expressing my opinion
    of it.

14. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    There is a waiting list to buy them, now explain agian why he should lower his prices.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with sean.

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Probably just like on RC. Someone creates a false sense of hype to drive up prices. Kinda like selling acans for $500 a polyp that you could buy online for $300 for an entire colony. Its good salesmanship. They arent all sold since he is still taking names for the waiting list. Remember clowns usually lay eggs every few weeks once they start.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure why Hung setting a price for fish he has raised himself is "screwing" or "cheating" people. If supply and demand dictates that people will not pay the price he has set, the free market (of which he is part) will bring the price down. I think that the price has not changed speaks for itself.

18. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I beleive there are 2 distinct markets we are talking about here...

First is the casual aquarium keeper who relies on everything from the local store including advice, products and livestock. This is essentially the lifeblood of a LFS as everything they do is based on what the LFS has and tells them. This is also the market that can be told that an item is of a certain value and they accept that, they will also fall for false hype about a product.

Second market is the enthusiast market like ourselves...we know the values of items in the open market place and we will balance the LFS price with our need, convenience, time frame in which we need the item. and price difference in order to make a decision on whether to buy locally or buy online.

Hung is marketing the first group as he should, and he is doing a good job of it....
    Many successful night clubs and restaurants in big cities make a waiting list when they have plenty of room inside just to create the illusion of value/availability, suddenly because people have to wait in line or pay a high price it creates a "must have" situation thus creating an inflated market for something that is available elswhere for less.

Hung doesn't expect enthusiasts to pay the prices he is asking.....he counts on the casual hobbiest to buy into the above mentioned hype and to dive in head first....and they will.

Just my 2cents worth.

eins

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, I can only hope for the trade as a whole that 80 such people in group 1 exist.

20. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure how I would approach this. If you look at the amount of work and effort that Hung puts into rearing the offspring his price doesn't seem so far out. If you had to first purchase a "mating" pair of b&w clownfish. Get them to spawn, rear the eggs and offspring for months, medicate, feed and etc. Not to mention the huge amounts of time it takes (as I've read). Whats your time worth? Would you rather be rearing fish or hanging out with your kids? I got lucky and bought my fish from Travis cheaper than most, but I waited three years for them. On the other hand you have to look at why F&S has such cheap prices, they have the means to purchase hundreds of fish at a time from breeders, this insures the breeders there fish have a place to go and insures F&S that they can purchase fish "cheap" and at a steady rate. I would find it hard to believe that the breeders sell all there fish to F&S, I would assume that they would sell what they could to locals and and off the rest to F&S, unless of course F&S is breeding there own, then you could figure in that they buy there food, salt, and supplies on a huge scale and probably save hundreds doing it that way. I think Hung has fair prices on some things and crazy prices on other things, if I had to buy another pair of B&W clowns again I'd get them from him, the ease of not shipping them and being able to pick them out would be worth the extra change for me