1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Purple lobster...do or don`t

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Oct 9, 2008.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a purple lobster would be ok to put in our 220 reef/fish tank? We have some SPS and LPS and some of the normal fish. I love the looks of it and don't want to make a mistake by adding it, then finding out i have to set a lobster trap to get him out. Any feedback would be great. thanks

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You would probably be OK, but you might want to read up some first.
    From LiveAquaria:
    "The Debelius' Reef Lobster, also known as the Purple/Orange Reef Lobster, has a white to lavender body, with orange and violet spots. The elongated, flat claws which are used for threats and defense may be purple, as well. An ideal environment should have a thick gravel bed for burrowing, and rocks for hiding, as well as live rock on which to hunt. After molting, the Reef Lobster will need a secure hiding place, such as a cave, while it waits for its new exoskeleton to harden. The cave can be designed so that the lobster can be seen during the day, but it usually will spend most of the daylight hours hiding from the light. It prefers to scavenge and hunt at night. The Reef Lobster is described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates. All Reef Lobsters are very territorial and aggressive towards each other, so only one specimen, or a mated pair should be kept per tank. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications. Most of the diet will consist of food it scavenges, but supplementing with iodine-rich foods will help ensure proper molting."

Are you looking at the one at BoBo's?   It's really cool looking and I've been tempted myself...
    -JB 

3. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yhea...i've looked at several times. I just don't want to endanger any of the fish i already have just for this 1.

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ii have one and it doesn't mess with anything,but you won't see it very often,feeding time,etc

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be afraid to lose any fish that could fit in its pinchers.

6. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i had some blood red fire shrimp(passed on old age)i have some snails hermits,some corals and several fish(some small enough for the lobster)the lobster only seems to be a little territorial when something comes to close to its turf! i have had it for well over a year and i have not had any loses do to him(though crustaceans are very opportunistic)!!!!

7. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and its pinchers are more of a defence thing

8. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I will ever buy another lobster.
    I bought a red lobster (I think thats what is was) without doing my research.
    Dang thing ate about $250 dollars in fish before I final caught the little Ba$tard.
    One day I put a Royal Gramma in there looked in the tank about 2 hours later and the lobster had its head in a claw.
    I have even heard the same about the purples, "Reef safe with caution".  To me that says no, no!