1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Newly Set up Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rutherford, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I joined this site about a year asking ?'s and looking for equipment. Well I finally decided to make the jump, I sold my freshwater fish and updated my 55 gallon to basically a "FOWLER" tank for the moment, it has 60lbs of live argonite Sand and 60lbs of live rock. After I had it up and running for a little over a month I have added a mated pair of false clownfish, 3 blue chromis, 1 scooter blenny, a peppermint shrimp and a chocolate chip starfish. Before everybody starts in on me I know I will need to remove the starfish before I add any corals. It will find a home in my 40 Gallon tall that will serve as a temporary hospital tank. I know I need to upgrade the lighting for the tank as it currently has awful flouresent lighting, but I don't want spend $600 on a fixture. My wife may just beat me. I would like to spend around $200 to have adequate lighting that I can use to help corals flourish. I embeded a video of my set up that can be viewed FullScreen in HQ let me know what you guys think your opinions are appriciated

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the addiction/ endless money pit!

Nice video too.

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Looks like a good start.You can get by with a dual satellite compact fixture it runs around $200 it will grow soft coral and some lps corals real well. My first salt water was a 55 with this same light worked great. Welcome to the hobby!

-Bill

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome Rutherford, Looks like you got a good start.

Lighting is one of the biggest expenses in this hobby, but if you keep you eye on the buy/sell posts you may come across some great deals on some T5s or some Metal Halides. 
    One thing I would suggest looking into before lighting or anything else for that mater would be a Protein Skimmer!!!! Unless you plan on doing parcel weekly or by weekly water changes, a skimmer is a must in a successful salt water tank. ( In my opinion )
    Hope to see you at some of the events that will be coming up in the months a head, gatherings and tank tours are a great place for information and new ideas!
    What is your location?
    -Rick-

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice start! I have a similar story for my entry into the hobby. You might want to reconsider putting a starfish in a hospital tank. Especially if you have to treat the tank for parasites or other disease.

6. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good start!

1. I second the comment on the protein skimmer.

2. Do you have any powerheads in your tank? If not, I would recommend getting one or two Koralias. It will help with gas exchange and keeping unwanted "stuff" suspended for filters and skimmers to remove.

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, welcome to the club. Everyone's advise they gave you looks good. T5's would be a great light to start with. One thing I would do before getting a protein skimmer is get rid of that hang on back filter you are using, drill the tank, and hook a refugium up to it, and when you are setting up the refutium make sure you leave room for a good protein skimmer. If you live in the CR area, we have a tank tour coming up, contact CyberJester if you would be interested in attending.

8. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, yea I know I need to get a protein skimmer first I'm just looking to get a HOB skimmer, I know a sump and in sump protein skimmer are best, I'd rather not drill the tank, have seen a few people try to do it on glass and have not pleasant results. I'm been considering a t-5 lighting system and noticed the odyessa brand is pretty affordable has anyone had any good expierence's with that particular brand
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0330480206

9. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have a power head it gets pretty good flow across the entire length of the tank, i've been considering getting another though

10. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've owned an oddysea light and wished I had just spent the extra money to get something better. You'll want to replace the bulbs right away in that thing and that will end up costing you close to another $100 right off the bat. Then one day you'll wish you had a better ballast and drop another $150 on a good ballast, then you'll want better reflectors and drop another $100 on them and throw the odyssea fixture away. At least that's about how it would go if you were me.
    I'm not saying you need to spend $350 right now on bulbs, ballast, and reflectors and build it all into a custom hood. but you should be able to pick up a Current Nova Extreem T5HO setup for around $200, and it wouldn't be the best light in the world, but you'd be a lot happier with it than the oddysea for only $70 more and I had no problem growing sps under mine.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As for lighting try ebay - seller is 'currentusa' they sell refurbished Current fixtures directly from Current at killer prices. I bought a 8X54 for 219.00 + 40 for shipping with new bulbs. Fixture works and looks like new, couldn't be happier. I have since replaced the bulbs with a much better bulb but still a great fixture.
    IMO a better option than oddysea

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Oddysea lights are made in China and not UL listed. They may be more of a fire hazard than a light made in the USA.

14. varner

varner

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    whys oddysea have such a bad rep been running the brand now for 6 yrs never any problems at all with all 5 of them. only other fixture was a current and had to replace the fans. i guess i cant miss what i never had just looked up the difference and it looks like the bulbs are the biggest difference. also looks like jebo makes them. the worst part is ive always replaced my bulbs with oddysea ones. wish i would of known! this is why i love GIRS

15. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Looks like you are off to a good start. You took your time researching before setting up your tank and it looked like it paid off.