1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New tank - Milky water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jlossner, May 28, 2018.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hate to say it, but I agree with Sponge.. Definitely recommend a large water change, like 60% or more. Then get some good bottled bacteria or some cycled media from an long established tank. You're probably going to have to start the cycle over again. Don't be discouraged! You're not taking care of inhabitants at this point, you're taking care of the water. Get the water correct and everything else will be fine.

2. Jlossner

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Other then my home test and having seascapes verify results, how else do I tell if the tank crashed? I installed socks today, GFO/carbon reactor. Also added a clean up crew. Planning a water change tomorrow. Slow and steady!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    By providing detailed information when asking for help or answering questions. Not trying to be a a**, just trying to help. Why did you buy a cleanup crew? Do you have algae, uneaten food or something else?

LFS are in business to sell to keep their door open. Not trying to put down LFS's either as they are needed. But, they do not always give the best guidance. GIRS is here to support the hobby and hobbyist.
    We don"t know everything but we try our very best to help. It is always good to get several opinions. As Clay said, he thinks your tank may have crashed. Usually other members chime in also so it would be good if others do! Clay nor I want to be the bad guys although it may appear to seem like it. Sorry!

@xroads@xroads, @Bud@Bud, @blackx-runner@blackx-runner, @beckerj3@beckerj3, @Dave@Dave

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Jlossner

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    All - totally appreciate the advice, trust me, I take all input into consideration and my feelings aren’t hurt easily so let the feedback rip!! I am a member of other forums as well as conducting a ton of my own research via books, expert web videos and friends of mine who have successful tanks. That said - I know very little and will keep absorbing everything I can. I’m a compulsive “study.”

I bought a clean up crew because of the green algae that has begun to grow based upon input from a friend who stoped over and helped me rerun some tests (experienced reefer).

Happy to report today that my water visibility has dramatically improved much in part to the advice I received here (socks are on and dual reactor is humming). Again this is a long term tank so I’m in no rush to do anything - small tweaks all the way!! Thanks again to all!

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    it sounds like you have a huge bacteria bloom to me to be honest. Since you have pretty much nothing in there, add a couple capfuls of hydrogen peroxide a couple times a day and see if it clears up.

Filter socks are a great way to polish the water, but they have to be changed regularly.

Carbon & GFO also serves important needs for a tank. Especially if you plan on keeping corals.

6. Jlossner

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the skimmer - does anyone have link on how to properly dial it in? I have been cleaning it every 2 or 3 days, is that normal? I’m trying to figure out the right level to run the bubbles to within the chamber but haven’t found a definitive guide

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    trial and error. What is the cup pulling out? If it is mostly water and not very dirty you may be running it too wet.

If it is stinky and nasty, it is doing its job and working perfect.

8. Jlossner

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Super stinky and nasty. To the point of my wife complaining! Maybe I’m doing something right!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    if your skimmer is pulling super stinky and nasty stuff on a tank with essentially no inhabitants I would say bacterial bloom is very likely what you are seeing.

10. Jlossner

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Good news is water is crystal clear tonight.

11. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    My 2c worth...
    Be careful with the GFO, it does it's job very well but you need some phosphate to fuel the cycling. It's very easy with GFO to take phosphates to zero and inhibit desired bacterial growth.
    You stated you had some algae growth going on. Are you running lights? If you are cycling your tank/no inhabitants, leave your lights off.