1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New pet store in Marion

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by aussie, Jan 7, 2018.

1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    just got back from checking out home grown pets in Marion ...... new store a lot of dry goods and saw them setting up stands for both Reef and fresh...... instant ocean reef crystal was 39.99 for a box

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I am certainly excited to check them out when I get a chance. Glad to see some LFS back in action

3. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Where is it located?

Sent from my iPhone via App

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I believe it's this one:

Home Grown Pets

Home Grown Pets
    999 44th Street Suite 2000
    Marion, Iowa 52302

Going to add the the Pet Store Directory

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Whaaaat! Thats awesome, somethin close, gonna have to check it out!

Sent from my SM-J710MN via App

6. It's a good store. A lot of their items I was finding cheaper than online prices. They have gotten some mexican turbo snails and saltwater fish in. I think clean up crews are next and then corals. They also seemed open to ordering things that they didn't have. Looks like a great place.

7. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    yup if you are interested in anything let the owner know amd he will order it for you or look into it. I talked to him about stocking reef nutrition products and he said he will be in the future.

8. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I would love to be able to check them out but every time I have tried to stop and check it out they are closed. I realize they have another store in Burlington but I went there today to try to buy a test kit and see their saltwater section and they were only open from 11-5 today and closed tomorrow. And I think if I read it right I think it is most days 11-5 and I think a couple of extra hours on the weekend.

9. It looks like they are open 10-7 during the week and 11 to 5 on the weekend. Tuesdays they are closed but that will be changing in the future.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  10. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I would like to add a thumbs up for this recently opened store. I now use them exclusively for fish and supplies. As mentioned in an earlier post, they have regular IO and Reef Crystals for less than you can buy them online ($39.99/box). The manager and employees are really nice and helpful people. The manager makes it a point to speak with me personally every time I stop in. He gives good advice, welcomes feedback, and is clearly not just trying to sell you something. They do not have a real wide selection of marine livestock yet, and no corals last time I was there, but they are working on it. They recently had an unfortunate meltdown due to a temperature probe malfunction which set them back quite a bit, but they will order anything you want if it's available from their suppliers. There is no charge for shipping and you don't have to buy the fish if it doesn't meet your expectations. Sometimes they even order multiples so you have a choice. The fish they ordered for me were very healthy and acclimated quickly to my tanks. Usually they are delivered within a week. I highly recommend this place, and suggest that everyone in the area should support this local business.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List