1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Metal halide bulb question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Oct 18, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I was recently talking to a friend about what bulb to buy for my new halide fixture I bought recently. It has a pretty old bulb in it and I wanted to buy a new bulb and also have it very blue looking. The fixture is a 150 watt Aqua Medic(double ended HQI) hanging over a 35 gallon hex tank. I was told that the best bulb to buy was a 150 watt Hamilton 20K double ended HQI bulb. I'm new to halides and don't know much about the different bulbs. I know Radium's are supposed to be the best bulbs out there, but I heard the 20k's aren't as blue as other 20k halides. If anyone around Cedar Falls is using a pretty blue looking bulb I could check out let me know. Any input is appreciated!

Adam

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know 14k Hamiltons are very blue, i have never seen a 20k hamilton. Picking bulbs totally sucks if you can't see them with your own eyes. I just went with the Radium because it has great PAR and color. I am curious as to what others respond with here.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    The 20K radiums have been around for 20 years, They are a tried & tested bulb, you wont go wrong at all.

The 20K will give you amazing colors & nice blue look. The trade off is that your growth will be much much slower.

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying I wouldn't get as much growth from the 20K radiums or just 20K's in general? I'll prolly end up just buying the radium and maybe supplementing with 2 actinic PC's in a DIY project or something since I have 3 PC retrofit ballasts laying around from the previously used lighting on this tank...

5. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Correct, the more white or yellow the bulb the better the growth u get, when u get a 14k you have a lil more blue and medium growth, with the 20k bulbs you get the neatest more floresceing colors but growth is significantly less than the 10k....

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I've decided I'm just going to order a Radium bulb and if I need more/less blue I'll make a DIY addtion to this pendant. I have 3 retrofit PC ballasts laying around and about 5 different bulb combinations I can choose from that I previously lit this tank with. It should work out. Thanks for any help guys/gals.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I sure would like to so some actual tests that prove exactly how much "less growth" you get from these higher kelvin range bulbs. How much is less growth? A foot a year? An inch a year?

Personally I think it's all hogwash, pick a bulb you like because of the color not because of how fast or slow you think it will grow coral.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you are willing to do actinic supplements then just get a 10k ushio. they are very white or the phoenix bulbs even. they have had a great reputation

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm..... I saw some of the raffle prizes were halide bulbs. Maybe I'm better off waiting to see if I can't just win one of those and then figure out what direction I'll go. It might be hard to wait that long but I think it'll be worth it. I can probably start working on my new pvc hanging kit with adjustable chain to change the height of the light and working on mounting two power compacts/reflectors without it looking like crap. I'm going for a someone professional look here, we'll so how far that gets...

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  11. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That looks way too nice for me. haha. I think I'll use some hook screws into the pvc and use some stainless steel chain with small loops. The pendant already has hooks on it for mounting, so nothing will need to be done there to get it mounted. To adjust the height I was just going to raise it or lower it a couple links in the chain to get it right. I plan to run all the power chords up and into the pvc and then down to the floor so they are hidden.

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a set of never used pendant type hangers for $5.00 (for two) that I was bringing to the show for sale. Stop by and see me if you don't find something else.

13. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

UPDATE... I won one of the 14K Hamilton 150watt bulbs for my seahorse tank! It looks a lot more blue, but not as bright as the other bulb. Does it take time to "burn-in" and get it's full intensity? O well, I can't argue with "free"!