1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Local sources for acrylic or glass (cheap) for sump baffles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    In the IC/CR area?
    Looking for 1/4" glass/acrylic/ABS for baffles in my sump.  Black ABS would be ideal if cheap enough as it would prevent light transfer/algae growth outside the fuge into the rest of the sump.
    Have a 20g long (thanks AJ) and will be putting the skimmer outside so it'll be drilled.
    Looking to install 6 baffles, all 8"x11 3/4" for an 8" internal level, standard sump/fuge design.
    Called Marv's in Iowa City, they want $38.10 plus tax or $6.35/panel for 1/4" glass - sounds pricey!
    Thinking it might just be cheaper to find a sheet of acrylic and cut it myself.  I can cut glass myself, but would then need to worry about the edges and the shops usually give the edges a quick buff.
    While I'm at it - I used 1/4 glass before that was left over from an Oceanic glass top, had Hung do a sump and he used acrylic, can't remember if it was 1/8" or 1/4".
    This will be a simple sump/fuge with +/- 400gph and a maximum level of 8" so nothing special - suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can get clear acrylic at lowes for cheap. I think 36x24 is like $30. If you want black then check out plexicraft in IC. He's a really nice guy, but on the pricey side too

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Based on the size that I need, i.e. 8"x11 3/4", would 1/8" acrylic work? Smaller? do I need 1/4"?

Thanks for the responses so far!

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eric i'm using 1/8inch glass in my 55g sump and its working just fine. we use 1/8inch glass in our windows too at pella corp and they get pretty big sometimes, and most are nontempered units, so it can stand some pressure. i tried the 1/8inch plexi might work but still might give a little. with the size you want i wouldn't see a problem in it though.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1/8 acrylic/plexi is really flimsy. I wouldn't recommend it for sump baffles. Acrylic never goes to waste, you'll find other projects you'll need it for in a few months. I don't see a problem using glass baffles. Acrylic is just "cool" in the SW community. Kind of like acrylic skimmers /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif