1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Let`s look alive

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Guest, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Randy in the other thread.  We really should do something in the area sometime soon.  I don't care whether it's another quick tank tour, getting to some of the tanks we didn't get to see last time, or getting together, drinking a beverage of your choosing, and using everyone else's tools/experience to help in modifying some of our equipment. 
    Anybody got any ideas? 

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of another tank tour to hit the others we couldn't make it to. Like JJ's, I just went over there tonight. WOWWWWW!!!!!! The growth is insane since I was there in April.

We could also get together for a brew. I work next to Mickeys, but there are obviously a hundred other choices. I also wouldn't mind organizing a frag swap in Des Moines, but that is something I suppose the BOD should do. Of course we could combine that with a tank tour since I know many have frags for sale.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm up for another tank tour - and I can actually be on this one! (although my tank will probably be in or just completed cycle so nothing too interesting)

Anyone know what happened to cagri ('char') - I haven't seen him post anything since we saw his tank and encouraged him to drill holes in his ceiling for his new tank /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Although if I remember correctly his wife was pretty pregnant so maybe she popped! Or maybe he pulled a JJ and changed his name and I just haven't figured it out yet...

Joel - did you bring your wallet to JJ's?? and is it all growth, or is some of it Allen's coral that I think was all pretty large colonies he bought most of (split it with Brad I think)?

I do think we need to get a better relationship with the LFS in DM - I don't think I've talked to one GIRS member who actually buys anything locally (except a couple people from Petco of all places) but that should also be something that the BOD and the DM trustee work out.

4. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's a long story with GIRS and DSM area LFS's. I won't go into detials as some happened prior to my joining the club.  The club has a reasonable relationship with Ia Pet on 22nd. Tim is a great person to talk to about reef related topics and when I need something I do go there. I can't imagine the other DSM area fish store being open to a relationship with the club, though some are convinced he has been on the boards within the last year.

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan, do you want to organize something??? We could put up a thread getting a list of 3-4 homes to visit. Start at Iowa Pet on 22nd and round it up at a pizza joint. What do you think?

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'd be up for something.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let's do it. We'll actually need people to volunteer their tanks for the tour, though, as this was what there was a problem with earlier. I'd still be up for it, and actually there may be another separate system set up in my apartment by then, depending on when we do it. Maybe mid-December?

I don't know that we need another dedicated thread.

Who would like to let us gawk at your tank(s)?

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You are welcome to stop and see my tank. I'm in West Des Moines across from the JC mall. It may even force me to do a water change to see if I can get rid of the cyano.

9. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since Ryan and I are so close - if anyone actually wants to see mine we can swing by my place after Ryan's...but like i said it will probably be mid-cycle so nothing too interesting...

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm up for anything as i just started my sps population. I hope no one minds looking at a hairalgae problem. I'm game

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you guys get this going, be sure to submit a news item about it or let me know the details and I'll put one up myself.

-JB

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We've all been there, Wayne. Would love to see your tank.

Philby, just keep the dremel. If I need it I'll come get it or if I happen to stop over, or you happen to stop over here, we can swap it then. I don't anticipate needing it for quite a while.

13. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good Ryan - I'm actually glad you didn't answer cause I ended up needed it again right after I called you! (I cut the hole big enough, but then I had to run the airline for the venturi and it didn't fit through the hole so I had to notch it...)

14. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be up to something you guys could come up tp ankeny and see my tank and new stand I built then maybe I could sweet talk brad in to coming over to see his big wishing well he has in his basement .I would be up for some of us getting together to play poker also and just sit and bs.Thanks Ryan

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great! Let's move forward with it. If no one minds, I'll see what weekend I have off in December and throw out those dates to begin with, of course if too many have conflicts it's not essential that I attend. Fairly certain it's the 8th/9th of December, but will make absolutely certain tomorrow.

16. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for keeping this rolling Ryan.

17. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Put it together Ryan! Its a great idea. I agree with with Ryan N, we need to go to Brads! Things is I don't think Brad comes on the GIRS forum. Might have to bribe him another way.

18. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any weekend is good for me I have a nice heated garage  we could set up some tables maybe some sloppy joes and chips play poker and look at tanks in the area and just scratch ourselves.As for brad thats nothing a good old fasioned titty twister wont fix.Lmk Ryan N

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry guys, my HR lady at work is a huge slacker and hasn't posted schedules yet. Hopefully she'll have them up today and I'll be able to suggest a date tonight.

Everyone want to start/end with some food? The Quad cities area met at old chicago last weekend before they went on the tour, we could meet before or it sounds like Ryan has volunteered his place.

20. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds good Ryan, Where to Beachgirls or Minx, just kidding.
    Where's is our DSM area nominate thread at? I still don't have ascess to Girs members only section. later Wayne