1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Kylie`s 40g Reef Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I have a star that just hangs out unde the live rock and does not bother anything that I know of. It may come out at night thought?

2. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is my latest attempt for aquascaping and I think I'm going to keep it. I love all the tunnels I managed to make for Cora to swim through. And its a lot more open than the 20 is now. Much more swimming space while still having a lot of coral space. What do you think? Any suggestions? I was going to get that puddy/cement stuff and add a little glob between each piece to make sure they don't fall. They are pretty sturdy now but I want to be safe. Those rock are a lot higher up than they ever have been in my 20.
    [​IMG]

3. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and my camera realy sucks so this was the best picture I could get. Sorry

4. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks good![​IMG]

5. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    If anyone wants to hang onto a brittle for me, I'll probably be ready for it in about a month /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ill keep mine for you. He's too small to cause any trouble yet. Hopefully he makes it through any cycle I may have in the next couple days. Is it normal for them to shed a good chunk of their legs?

7. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Cool, tyvm /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    I can't really tell from the pic, but what color is he? Is that spots too?
    This is what wiki says, I've heard pretty odd stories about them, one guys said his musta had a parasite, the things center section was gone and it was just arms all connected. The arms would collect food and carry it to the center, that wasn't there anymore... lol
    Ophiuroids can readily regenerate lost arms or arm segments unless all arms are lost. Ophiuroids use this ability to escape predators, similar to lizards deliberately shedding (autotomy) the distal part of their tails to confuse pursuers. Moreover, the Amphiuridae can regenerate gut and gonad fragments lost along with the arms. The six-armed Ophiactidae generally exhibit transverse fission, which yields three large arms and three small arms. No discarded arms have shown ability to regenerate.

8. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    His legs are black n lighter stripes n his body is dark with darker grey/brown spots

9. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just an update: My dad and I got SOOOO close to finishing installing the lights into the canopy hood yesterday. We found a pretty awesome way to secure the glass sheilds below the reflectors. We went to Lowes and he found some 90 degree bent aluminum strips along with some other aluminum strips that wrap around to make three edges so the glass can slide in. We're rigging it so the 90 degree strips get cut and bent into different shapes that hang from the canopy lid while holding up the pieces that the glass slide into. It's really neat what he can do with this stuff. It'll be nice and sturdy too, which is nice. We have everything else, except for my moonlights already screwed into the lid: fans, mh ballasts, sockets, and reflectors, and the T5 reflectors. So next weekend I'll go back home again and we'll get that finished so next week the fish and corals can move in!! I'm trying to get my gift certificate for saltwaterfish.com to work to order some snails but they aren't responding (this isn't the first time I've tried to use it either). Either way, the CUC will move in this week and next week fish and corals. Then I'll be done! And ready to find more awesome corals and some fishes!

Yay!

10. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The fish are moved! And the 40g is fully up and running!! YAY!! I feel like crap with a cold but at least the fishes are happy /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif I'll post pictures tomorrow but I'm gonna go crash after working all afternoon tearing down the 20g.

11. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm probably to late for this but I've had a red brittle star in my tank for 11 years.  It's never harmed a thing, hides out most of the time and comes out at night.  I feed him shrimp pellets, frozen krill or brine shrimp every couple of days or he just eats whatever is fed.  He's probably 18" from one end of his legs to the other end.  Totally cool.  Never bothered a coral and never wiped out my sandbed.  I had a Mandrian and it never wiped out the supply of live food either.  You can definately keep it in a 40 gal if you feed it every couple of days.
    I understand that some of the other brittle stars aren't that reef friendly but the red one I have is totally reef friendly and it looks just like the one you have pictured.

12. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Grats! [​IMG]
    At least you have something nice to look at and ponder about while nursing the cold?

13. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha exactly. Perfect angle from the couch to lay down and watch a movie and fish at the same time. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif

14. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, here are a few pictures of the final product!! YAY!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm... why aren't photobucket pictures working anymore?

Here are some links instead I guess:

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/kmday/40g%20Reef/4-12-108.jpg
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/kmday/40g%20Reef/4-12-102.jpg
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/kmday/40g%20Reef/4-12-104.jpg
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/kmday/40g%20Reef/4-12-1010.jpg

16. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very cool, looks nice.

17. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Looks great Kylie!!!!! I love the way your stand and canopy turned out!! Any updates?

19. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure!! I'll take some new pictures today and post an update : )