1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Korilas and wavemakers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travis, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does anyone run Korila powerheads on wavemakers?  Is it a bad idea?  As you can tell I have never owned one, but I would like to try something other than maxijets this time around.

2. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 4 Korila power heads running on a wavemaker.
    They work ok, however, they have trouble starting, so I don't have the times set very low (2 mins alternating).
    I would suggest unless you are going with the Korila wavemaker box and associated power heads.
    To go with Maxijets or Tunze power heads, as I have heard that they do not have this issue.
    Someone also told me that if you cut a small piece of plasic tubing and put on the powerhead shaft that it would make the noise and will start up in the right direction.  I have not tried this yet, but plan on it.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Koralia now has 12 volt powerheads made to solve the problems with putting them on a wavemaker. I saw them running on a Koralia wavemaker at the Frag Conference at Dr F&S in June. I planning on replacing my 3's with them in the future. I think they cost about $15 more a peice.

4. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Make sure you research this carefully.  My understanding was that the new Koralia's only work on the Koralia's wavemaker and not any other system. 

5. Aquatic Environments

Aquatic Environments Inactive User Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I havent heard anything bad about them. They are really nice and the controller has lots of options on it. I have a kit instock that includes the controller and 2 of the #4 12V powerheads on sale for only $349.99. Compare to DFS at $419.99.  A 12V system is worth the extra bit of money for better control over your tank. 

6. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not said I have heard anything bad about them.  All I said was that they those powerheads only work with a Koralia wavemaker box and not any other brand of wavemaker. 
    Though in my honest opinion, for that kind of money you are better off to get a controller that will do much more then just a wavemaker function.  You would probably spend another $100 over the $419, maybe even $150 but would get a lot more out of it in the end.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think CyberJester is right. The new Koralias only plug into their own wavemaker. I imagine you could cut off the ends and put them on another 12V power source, but that would probabaly be a stupid thing to try. :)

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping that they come out with some kind of solution for hooking them to a AC/AquaController

-JB