1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Just saying hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by XxxTakxxX, Jun 5, 2009.

1. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am currently working on my first setup. So far I have a 75 gallon tank. Short list eh? If anyone has any advice as to what equipment I should be looking for or anything else that may be useful let me know.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site. The equipment that you want will depend on your goals for the tank, but the first few things on your list are probably going to be skimmer and sump, then probably lights. Tell us more about your setup...and pics always help too.

--AJ

3. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on the pics. It is a 12 deep by 48 long and i believe 24 high. The end goal is about a 50 50 toss up between fish and corals. I have a local grower that is going to help out with the setup but I dont want to rely only on his expertise. I have been looking into filters at the moment and I am torn between the emperor 400 and the penguin 350. Im pretty set on the bio-wheel setup at this point but I am unsure of which one will do better. past that I have NO clue what i need. You said something about a sump and such and I do not even know what that is or what it does.

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the group. The type of set up you want to have will have a bearing on what you'll need for equipment, but there are some pretty standard items.
    1. Be patient. There is a saying: nothing good happens fast in a reef.
    2. Buy quality equipment the first time. Many of us have made the mistake of thinking we'd save some money, but you end up buying the one you should have gotten in the first place and spending twice as much or more.

That being said, you'll want live rock, a protein skimmer, powerheads or the like for water movement, heater and lights. A good quality salt mix like Instant Ocean.
    Additionally, you could have some kind of live sand substrate, and a sump is great for added water volume and hiding equipment that you'd otherwise put in the display tank.
    There is a book called 'Your First Marine Aquarium' by Paletta that gives you the basics. I've got a copy you can have if you'd like to give it a read.
    Those are the minimum you'll need. If you want a fish only tank you'll need a different set up than if you want a full blown reef. Spend some more time perusing this and other reef sites, like reefcentral.com to see what other folks have, and feel free to ask more questions.

Mark

5. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    like i said i have no clue so any literature I can get my hands on would be great.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club.

As someone who is new to saltwater & reefs, the best thing you can do is ask a lot of questions. The club is a great resource and there's usually a lot of people willing to help and/or give advice.

BTW, where are you located.

-JB

7. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm from cedar rapids. and my main concern at the moment is the filter, protein skimmer, and sump. Originally I intended on using a marineland emperor 400 then an in aquarium protein skimmer so I could stay away from external parts. I guess my first question is will that work or will I Need a sump setup for a 75 gallon tank

8. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would go with a sump. i think in the long run you would be much happier. Since you are in CR. I would offer you to stop by, look at my system and go over any questions that you have. I live on the SW side of CR. You could just PM me if you would be interested.

9. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am also willing to let you stop by and check out my setup as well if your interested.  If you are just shoot me a PM and we can set up a tme.