1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got a few updates

Schedule:
    Things are on track for L2 production, the only thing I am waiting on to officially pull the trigger are the first-run samples. These are supposed to be in my hands a few days either side of Christmas. So, with that timing, I'm expecting them after Christmas. As long as there are not issues that require correction, I will have the first run of 50 units in my hands around January 20th. I have already adjusted the 2nd post of this thread to reflect the Wait List date of January 1st 2016 for locking into the Introductory Pricing.

L4 and L8:
    I've been getting a little more interest than I expected for the L4 and quite a few inquiries for the L8 (and larger). I'm pushing hard to get the L4 models finished up. I've also come up with a way to make the L8 work without the need for a huge and super-expensive mold. If it works out as I forsee, the L8 should be available at the same time as the L4. I'm still hoping for mid-Spring on both, so stay tuned.

Mortar Screen:
    This is something that Paul B posted a little while back, and I posted on the Algae Scrubber Basics Resource Page. I posted my version of this method in the same thread earlier today. After seeing how these turned out, I have a lot of confidence that this is the new screen type that I have been searching for.

Gooey blobs of algae:
    One thing this thread has been lacking is pictures. Pictures of slap-yo-mama growth. Well here's your fix for that type of stuff, 500 pictures to make your kids go EEEWWWWWWWW like mine do. Weaklings. They've never been fortunate enough to get a huge whiff of skimmate or they wouldn't be complaining!

http://s611.photobucket.com/user/FloydRTurbo/library/00 Algae Scrubbers/2015 Cleanings?sort=9&page=1

Here's a few for those who don't want to scroll through Photobucket.

These pics are a mixture of 3 scrubbers I maintain:

A Rev 1 L2 on my personal 120g (top of tank, sole filtration)
    A Rev 1 L2 on a 144g tank at an office in town (over sump, sole filtration)
    A Rev 3 L4 on a 200g tank at a Japanese Steakhouse in town (alongside skimmer, filter sock, and carbon)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At some point in time, I started weighing harvests. These are always shown as a series of about 6 pictures: Wet (first in Ounces, then Grams), then after a good squeeze of the whole ball of algae (Oz & g), and then after a really strong squeeze of the algae, one chunk at a time to really get the majority of the water out (Oz & g). To me, this is the only reliable method of comparing harvests, as it shows the differential between wet, somewhat wet, and relatively dry harvests. Do that consistently for a series of months and you will see a pattern that shows it wasn't just a one-off measurement, or just the pick-of-the-litter harvest.

Something like this
    [​IMG]

Wet (14.8 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squeezed (9 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squeezed a lot (4.9 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More nasty pics on next post

2. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not every scrubber grows awesome. The L4 mentioned above doesn't really ever grow massive, but the tank is lightly fed (even though it has a 9" Vlamingi Tang) and he runs a skimmer and filter sock. The scrubber seems to grow a lot of slime that fills up the growth chamber, but doesn't take up much volume once the water is off. But, the N & P are spot on, and no tank algae, 2 years running and no issues. that's what is really important.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, there's the L2s. Both grow gangbusters. Both tanks are fed decent chunks of DIY food and LRS Reef Frenzy and the algae growth is consistent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Left the timer in the "on" position instead of 12 ON / 12 OFF for 2 weeks recently this is what happened

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New mortar screen going in this one soon as well
    [​IMG]

1lb 7.1 oz wet
    [​IMG]

13.8 oz squeezed
    [​IMG]

8 oz really squeezed (this took a while)
    [​IMG]

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    What are the dimensions on the L4?

5. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The cross-section of the L2 and L4 will be about 6" wide x 7" tall.

L2 length will be around 11" long
    L4 length will be around 17" long.

L8 will be the same length as the L4 (17") and same width (6") but about 4" taller, about 11"

The way I'm doing the L8 paves the way for continued (modular) vertical expansion, so about 4" for every jump: L12 = 15", L16 = 19", etc.

6. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Prototypes (first run samples) are in! Teaser pics!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come!

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    What's the price going to be on one of these Bud?

Thanks Bill

8. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For right now, same as listed in first post.

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Sorry didn't see it first time I skimmed through the post. To be honest I was mostly looking at the pics. Looks like a great product at a excellent price.

10. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE: Wait list date cutoff for Introductory Pricing Guarantee on the L2 is MIDNIGHT US CENTRAL TIME, FRIDAY FEBRUARY 5th! Post in this thread or message me prior to this to guarantee yourself the introductory price for the L2. L4 and L8 Introductory Price wait list will continue until at least mid-March.

11. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
  12. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was double-checking the thread to make sure I didn't miss anyone who wanted on the wait list and realized that I didn't every answer your question @GoodGreef@GoodGreef!! Sorry, I didn't mean to blow you off!!

About the dims:
    the Rev 2 & 3 L2 is about 9" long, 9" wide (with heat sinks) and 7" tall. But then there are plumbing parts that extend out at the bottom on one side for the e-drain, about 3 more inches, and of course the inlet plumbing.

The bottom e-drain make it actually a bit more compact overall lengthwise,but you still have inlet plumbing.

Width will be more compact for sure.

Height is about the same, but you can maintain it with only about 2" of clearance, just enough space to lift the growth chamber up and out and slide out the end. Now there is no need to ever remove the main body of the unit, unless you need to clean the drains for some reason (not likely)

Also, I'm working on perfecting my drain valve system. It's one of those ideas that makes you wonder why you didn't think of that years ago...thanks to mad scientist @danmgray@danmgray for spawning that concept!

13. tangman

tangman

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    this was way impressive and hopefully one day a big brand will buy your concept

14. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, it took me a while - had to go through tons of emails, multiple threads, PM inboxes, etc...just to make sure I had everyone covered. The list (for L2, L4, L8, and larger) is over 250. That does include a few people who didn't overtly request to be on the list, so that will thin down a bit. I've started contacting people from the top down for the L2 rollout!

15. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Nice job! While I don't use a ATS or plan to I'm Just curios where you had the injection molding done? I have a couple parts that I have made for products and the upfront tooling costs was insane....

16. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^dies/injection

Heat sink extrusion was done in Ohio.

I have to say that it's very interesting how things came together. It really is all about who you know.

17. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    L4 for me

18. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't help but throw out this L4 teaser...one major change it not shown (modular growth chamber)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just an update, it's not often that I get a whole weekend to work by myself in the garage, so I while I did get a ton accomplished, it still wasn't as much as I had hoped. The devil is in the details, and I'm highly detailed. Does that make me my own devil? Anyways, I'm exhausted but before I crash out I wanted to post from progress pics

Heat sinks drilled & tapped

[​IMG]

Example of mounted LED boards and driver for the L2 (there will be 2 sets like this for the L4)

[​IMG]
    Yes I measured and labelled template wires and sleeves...devil

One of the very few main body assembly steps - bonding in the J channels (forms a rail for the light fixtures)
    [​IMG]
    Also you can see a stack of slot pipes which were drilled for the screen pin

Cured Mortar Screens soaking
    [​IMG]

While we're on the mortar screens I had a little fun with this toy I got the kids a few years back, it's a digital microscope
    [​IMG]

I had to adjust brightness and contrast of the zoomed in pics, this thing is not a laboratory microscope ya know

Here is a plain screen (phone + 100x)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roughed up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With fresh mortar coating
    [​IMG]

Mortar after 2-3 days curing in ziplock, patted dry so you can see the rough texture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

200x
    [​IMG]

Now that's what I call microscopically rough. It's no wonder this type of screen grows algae lickety split.

A #4-40 threadcutter
    [​IMG]

My finger
    [​IMG]

20. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0