1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IceCap order came today!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Nov 21, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my lights today and they look sweet.  I can't wait to install them in the tank tomorrow.  I love the 14K color!
    I ordered an RO/DI chloramine buster system and two part mix from bulk reef supply.  I also ordered some IV administration sets today to dose Ca, Mg, and Alk...  I figured gravity feed was much more reliable than running three $90 dosing pumps all day (and much cheaper@ $5 a tube).  I noticed that Kent sells a similar system called aqua dose for $20-$60.  Again, $5 is cheaper /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I doubt that your $5 tubing is going to last too long unfortunately. In the hospital setting, it's never left "hanging" for more than 3 days and usually less than that. If you are lucky you might get a couple of months but it's doubtful that it will last longer than that. Also, kalk will clog up tubing quick so be careful depending on what you drip.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess I'll just see. I'm not using it for Kalk (Using Calcium Chloride, not Lime). It's not a super saturated solution with solid material in it, or at least that's what I've read. It's a two part mix and its all completely soluble so I don't know how it will get clogged other than maybe crusting up the lines every once in a while. The kent system recommends doing a vinegar drip once a month and replacing the lines once a year. Of course things are very different in a hospital setting.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup. I've taken home tubing from time to time when I was trying to drip things and it's a little difficult to explain to co-workers that I'm using it on my fish tank!
    What kind of container are you going to use to suspend and hold the liquids you are going to drip?

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was planning on siliconing the tubes into the lid of a one gallon jug and drill a small breathing hole into the jug. It's going to be a bit of an experiment trying to get it all figured out, but I'm excited. The lights are looking amazing in the tank. I'm really excited to get some new stuff in there!