1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Humu Humu or Niger Trigger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mdk014, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mdk014

mdk014 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Give me your feedback plz. I have two clowns, one mandarin a red scooter and one blue hippo tang.  I also have a red stripe cleaner shrimp along with the usual turbos and blue leggs. I really like the Humu Humu or Niger Triggers. Am I asking for trouble by adding one of these two to my tank? I have seen shops with triggers and clowns together. I thought that was a no no but have heard the Niger may be a good tank mate. I have a 90 gallon.

2. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Think of the Humu as kind of like a piranha but not as shy. It would probably kill all but maybe the hippo. They destroy goldfish feeders instantly. You have a better chance with a niger trigger, but depending on the size you are asking for trouble. Having plenty of hiding places and a trigger that is smaller than your other fish will help, if well fed. I think in the long run you will lose the turbos and blue legs and maybe the shrimp, then the smaller fish.
    My advise is don't do it. Set up a predator tank if you want triggers. I've had many different large triggers, and I'll say most are vicious predators especially if fed feeder fish.

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with Matt. I just wouldn't risk losing what you got. A second tank would be the best way to go. Depending on your set up, you could plum it together and use on sump.

4. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Been down that road! Dont get either unless it is a fish only tank! All will be distroyed and covered with algae from the much higher waste load! If you want a reefsafe trigger look into the Blue Jaw or Pink Tail Triggers...
    just my 2 cents, Dave

5. mdk014

mdk014 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HaHa! With the quick responses and references to pirahanas I will pass on my trigger thought. Now, that means I have to get another set up. Oh Darn! I have my wife hooked on triggers so YEA for me!

6. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The blue-jaws are pretty sweet. My brother has one that is very docile in his reef tank.

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Blue jaws are nice... be careful when introducing new fish with them though.

8. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah blue jaws are a really cool fish, and look really good but they can be kinda shy to but i would say a good trigger for a reef tank. The best one i saw was in billbigsbe's reef tank and it was really cool!!!

9. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a blue jaw in my 90 gal reef for about 4 months. He was a model citizen, and I'd definitely get another at some point. Be careful if you've got an open top though - mine tile surfed about two weeks ago... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

10. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got a Pink Tail from Pets Playhouse in my reef tank and he's doing great with his new tank mates--incuding my Mooron Clown.
    Pink Tails kind of remind me of the Niger.
    Good Luck.

11. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i have both a blue jaw and a pink tail in my 300 gallon reef tank they arent agressive at all and leave my crabs and shrimp alone. I alos have alot of fish smaller then them in the tank and they leave the small fish alone. infact they both get picked on by my tomato clown and blue tang who terorize my tank and are both by far more aggresive then the trigges.