1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Firefish, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone,
    Just wanted to introduce myself my name is Elizabeth.  My family and I live in Fruitland (south of Muscatine).  I do have a couple of cichlid tanks, and my husband kept telling me that I should do a saltwater tank.  After a lot of thinking we decided to go for it and he bought me a 125g for Christmas. (little did he know all the work he was getting himself in for. [​IMG] )  The tank has been up and running now for a couple of months now.  I have a pair of True percs.  that I got from Hung that just went in the DT last Friday after their 6 week QT stay.  No corals as of yet, but would like to add some soon.    Still debating on Qting the corals or just dipping them, I welcome any advice on this.    I look forward to talking with all of you.  Elizabeth

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome Elizabth.

There are few of us from the Muscatine area. I am origionally from Wapello so I am one of the few who knows where fruitland is.

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Elizabeth
    Welome to Saltwater life
    We have some candy cane corals up for sale
    we live in Winfield but we go up towards Muscatine quite abit to visit friends there
    if you would like some Candy Cane coral let us know
    it is $10 for a frag
    When we get corals from people we usually just add them to our tank and they seem to do fine
    but everyone has there own opinions
    in the end it is your decision on what you prefer to do
    Shaun

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Welcome to the club Elizabeth!

5. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you have already taken good precautions in your choices so far. I do think it is a good idea to at least dip your corals, but i never QT them for long periods of time. Best way to start adding corals is definately from fellow reefers. You get a diverse assortment for a small cost, and it will eventually grow. Typically things you buy from your fellow hobbiest are much much healthier, especially if you meet them here =)

Have you looked into proper lighting (VHO, Halide, T-5, sand PC) type of salt, RO water versus declorinated water, water test kits and proper paramaters?- such as nitrate, amonia, ph, nitrite, calcium and more. How much life rock you've added and amount of sand/crushed coral... before you get too far into it, try to be sure you've made the right steps from the start. Its sometimes crazy how the little things end up mattering a lot!

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction!

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Elizabeth. You have plenty of space to play around with on a 125! Nice.

I've been told (and practice) to be careful with all corals no matter the source. Some people can have issues that they don't even know about. I was talking to another member of the club the other day and he was telling me about how he purchased a coral from a fellow reefer, took it home and dipped it and lo and behold, flatworms fell off the coral during the dip. When he called the person that he purchased it from to inform them, they had no idea. Remember that everything that you add to your tank carries with it a degree of risk to everything else in your tank. That being said, corals from the wild carry a higher risk of introducing pests than corals from a local fellow reefer. I dip new corals. It's quick, easy, and if it reduces my risk of killing everything else even by 5%, it's definitely time well spent.

I only have two fish in my tank and I don't (but should) have a QT tank set up for fish. That will be something I will have to add in the future.

--AJ

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome Elizabeth! I'm here in Muscatine so if you ever need any thing don't be afraid to ask!

Sounds like you have a good start, what lighting do you have?

What kind of corals are you wanting for your tank, softies, sps, lps?

-Rick-

8. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. For lighting I have 3x 175w 10k MH and 2 96w Actinic. There is 130lbs of live rock and about a 2 inch sandbed. I do use RO/DI water. As far as which corals not 100% yet which way to go I like alot of the lps, and I would like to be able to get a clam down the road. I am using Instant Ocean right now, but was wondering if I should switch to something like Reef Crystals. My calcium is 420 right now but I'm not sure on the Mg because I haven't picked up that test yet. I will pick some dips for the corals I think I seen Revive mentioned and flatworm exit. Would these be good dips to get? I hope I answered all the questions asked. Elizabeth