1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY auto topoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I had been looking for an auto top off unit but could not get over the price considering what they were. So for less than ten bucks I built one and now want to share how I did it.

I took a pump that I had laying around and plumbed it into my sump. I put the pump into a freshwater reserve. I then took a cheap extension cord and cut one side and stripped the ends. I had a float valve but you can get one off e-bay for about $5, just make sure it is the 110 volt 2 wire type. I then hooked it up to the spliced ends of the extension cord made a bracket for it to go into my tank. I plugged the pump into the extension cord and the cord into an outlet. Been working for a few days and not one problem, yet. Just thought this may help someone else out, Shaun

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did the same. Sadly I don;t have room for a freshwater reserve LOL.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nothing like having a cut extension cord running 110 volts around a bunch of corrosive and very conductive saltwater, just remember in this hobby you always get what you pay for.

For the record you can get autotop off's for $40 plus shipping.

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say it depends on where it is cut and soldered to make that judgment. The way I did mine, the tank would basically have to 100% dump out to even get any of the line wet... I think I would have more problems aside from just corrosion at that point /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif You do make a valid point though, it can be done unsafely very easily, but throwing a bunch of money at something also doesn't necessarily make it better.

5. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did solder the connections and used heat shrink. Also all of the connections are well above the tanks and are safe from getting wet. I did consider the saftey aspects before doing this. I would not like to loose my reef or my house just to save a few bucks. Thank You for pointing that out though. I did not make that very clear and yes it could have been done very pooorly and unsafe if not done right. Shaun

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That was my point exactly, shaun made it sound like he just cut off the extension cord and twisted the wires together to a switch and hung it on his sump.  These kind of DIY projects can save you money but to me time IS money, I can imagine it took at least an hour to put together, add that up along with the parts and shipping you paid on a little float switch from ebay....well you get the point. 
    All I am saying is you can get one prebuilt for $40, they are grounded and well built, if you don't have a soldering gun, heat wrap and a resonable amount of electrical knowledge it isn't all that much of an expense.

7. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I put all the soldered/heatshrinked connections  in a radio shack project box and sealed it, then attached it above the sump where no water could possibly reach it(my sump/fuge sits outsite the stand ). Mine is run off 12V DC too, only thing that runs off AC is the pump.
    You don't really save a great amount of money but some people just like tinkering :)

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but when most of my free time is spent playing wow anyway, I didn't find it too hard to put the game down and tinker with some wires, LOL /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Way to go Jeremy, rain on their parade. I think DIY is good, nothing wrong with saving a few bucks as long as you are going to do it safely.

How about posting some pictures of your DIY top-offs?

10. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would post pics ( I even took some while building it) but cant figure out just how to do it with the new format. Shaun

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shaun -
    If you have a photobucket account (or if not you should get one, they are free), you are going to want to upload your pics to photobucket *you can also use another website, I just like PB myself). From there, PB provides links for you to embed your pics in posts. You are just going to copy those links, paste them into a reply post, and you are set. As long as the PB servers are up we will see your pics every time we open the page.
    Hope that helped :)

12. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok here I go. These are the pics of when I assembled it. I got it done in less time than it took for me to make a pot of coffee. As you can see I did solder the ends and used heat shrink. What is not pictured it the tests with my meter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used LJ's old 6 gallon tank for my top off water. I also had this pump laying around from an old skimmer. Pretty simple, but effective. Shaun