1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cowrie Snail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just picked up a cowrie snail, I'm reading conflicting information online about him. Some places say they are herbivors, some say carnivors, some say they are juvinile herbivors and become carnivorous, some say they will leave everyone alone and others say they will eat anemones, does anyone know if I should get rid of this guy?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Did you get one of the ones from Pet's Playhouse? Nick there told me that they defintely were not reef safe.

-JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i grabbed it from petland. not a good place to shop i know, but, information online is confusing and contradictory. i have no coral so my only concern is for other inverts and the anemone

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so, i've relocated the cowrie to a new home out of my house. The final consensus is as follows. As juveniles they are herbivores however, once they reach adulthood, they become omnivores who will continue to eat algae but also add meat into their diets. This includes soft corals, nudibranchs, and sea anemones. If you are going to keep them, their diet can be supplemented by anchoring meat near them at night when they are active.