1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Alright - sick of my clowns - pair for sale

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Eric, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Had a pair of clowns in my old 75, vicious.
    Wife wanted to add a pair when I set up the Biocube.  As usual (for me) they're fine for a month or so then they change into a typical damsel.
    Bought these from Hung in August, paid $58 for the pair.  Get along well with each other, just not me.
    Tired of not being able to work in my tank - I could easily net these if needed in my Biocube - can't seem to catch them in my 72.  Figure I'll get them out now, even if I need to remove the rock.
    Pic from just now as posting this:
    [​IMG]

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    none of the clowns I've ever had won't bite me, it's just something they do.

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 04/05/2009 10:20 AM
    none of the clowns I've ever had won't bite me, it's just something they do.
    Yeah, but it's a real PITA!
    I long for the days of old when I could just get into the tank as needed, now it's an ordeal - and I haven't been able to today at all.
    I remember someone saying in a different thread that they use an arm length rubber glove while in the tank and just let the clowns have their way.  My old pair would draw blood - just not in the mood!
    It'd be different if they were spawning and protecting the eggs...

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've found that vinyl gloves really help a lot...not the arm length ones, just the cheap ones you buy at the hardware store. They're a little more rigid than just latex and have made getting into the tank much more tolerable....not my clowns are still pretty small in comparison to some that I've seen in other tanks so if you have big clowns, they might not be as effective.

Also, they have some kind of a powder on them to keep them from sticking together...I always make sure to rinse them inside and out before using them in the tank.

--AJ

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Wow this is the first i've herd of clowns biting. I have a pair i also bought from hung had them for a long time never had a problem. I use to have a 12in red devil cichlid that did this and he would leave a circle shaped bite mark the size of a nickle that would bleed very nicely.It go to were i had to have someone watch the fish while i cleaned the tank.

-Bill

6. psulion

psulion

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My female maroon attacks me all the time. She's quite the pain. Never drew blood though.

7. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I've never had a problem with any of my clowns in my tanks. I have 5 right now and they all steer clear when my hands are in the tank. My large maroon goes CRAZy when I clean the glass though. I'm suprised there aren't marks on that from the times he attacks it.

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my buddy has some clowns from hung too and they are some mean fish. You couldnt pay me to mess with his tank. The clown has a personal vendetta against all humans.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Makes you wonder what Hung does to them to make 'em so mean...hehe  j/k

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I'm thinking you shouldn't have advertised them as mean Eric /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

11. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a pair also got them from a fellow reefer.the reason he gave them away was cause the male attacked him and he couldnt work in his tank.i took them and the male still attacks.i target feed a few things with a baster and as soon as any of my flesh go under he will stop trying to catch the food and shoot straight up and get me.i were the arm lenght gloves to work inside the tank now but its a pita with those on,but he wont come near me.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're all freakin me out a little bit!  I just bought a pair of clowns (from hung, he he) a week ago.  I'd never heard anything about them being mean before.  Actually part of why I got them was cause I thought they were supposed to be less aggressive than damselfishes.   (Well that and I have a 2 year old daughter who loves Nemo) So far so good and I love the markings on them.  I'd hate to be afraid to put my hands in there!!!!!!!  If it comes to that guess I'll just have to do the glove thing.  Those of you who've had trouble with them do they attack anything else in the tank or just you???

13. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 04/06/2009 01:52 PM
    Haha, I'm thinking you shouldn't have advertised them as mean Eric /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    Mean?
    I meant that I can't work in the tank because they're like little kittens that are always trying to rub up under my hand and arm - sometimes making it difficult to clean or landscape...[​IMG]
    -Eric

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By smw0522 on 04/07/2009 05:04 AM
    You're all freakin me out a little bit!  I just bought a pair of clowns (from hung, he he) a week ago.  I'd never heard anything about them being mean before.  Actually part of why I got them was cause I thought they were supposed to be less aggressive than damselfishes.   (Well that and I have a 2 year old daughter who loves Nemo) So far so good and I love the markings on them.  I'd hate to be afraid to put my hands in there!!!!!!!  If it comes to that guess I'll just have to do the glove thing.  Those of you who've had trouble with them do they attack anything else in the tank or just you???
    Yours may be fine - sounds like 10-15% of the pairs don't attack.
    They don't bother anything else in the tank (typically) including fish or inverts, although mine (all of them) have always kicked up sand from time to time.
    -Eric

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They only bother me...they don't nip at anything else.  Just expect that they will likely nip, then be surprised when they don't....and for me, it's not the nip that hurts, it's the way that they get in between my fingers and flap all around that startles me.
    And as far as buying fish from Hung goes...he has the best reputation of all of the LFS in the area of selling healthy, disease free fish.
    --AJ

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeap, they're less aggressive than Damsels, but not much /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought they WERE damsels (in the same family biologically speaking anyway)??? I got rid of a pair a few months ago...couldn't put my hand in the tank with being attacked. The thin gloves didn't help either...I had to use the big orange and blue coralife gloves...which are like astronaut gloves and pretty much useless.

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe using two gloves (one on the other) would have done the trick.  I looked at, but didn't buy the orange and blue gloves because I suspected what you are confirming.   I use the Tom Aquatic Gardner too when I need to pick things up off the bottom of the tank or something.  They have a gripper and scissor attachment for them...and they're cheap.

19. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love my astronaut gloves and use em all the time, but for my clowns i use the tongs to keep him in his cave. Otherwise he wont even let me look down into my tank without jumping at my face!

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, did you get rid of these yet Eric? How's the pink bird's nest doing?