1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice on getting a better skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking for a better skimmer for my tank, would like some good advice on buying one. By manufacture and reliability. I have a Coralife 65 now and have had nothing but problems with it. Coming home from work and find my tank blowing air and water all over my basement floor. Just can't keep it regulated. Fills cup and 1 gallon jug then the floor.I have had it for about 1-1/2 years and its time to let it go. Can anyone give me some advice on what to buy.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    For the most bang for your dollar you can beat an octo or gsm.

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is your budget for the new skimmer? What size is your tank? What kind of bio-load do you have? Answers to those questions will help you get more specific suggestions.

Anna :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 45 gal. tank, 20 gallons. in sump. Total 65 gal. 8 fish , soft corals , hard corals. Is a in sump skimmer better ? what about needle wheel skimmer ?

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For hang on the back skimmers, my deltec mce600 seems to do a really good job, but it's a little pricey (about $350 for a used one). I've also had good luck with the aqua c remora ( I use it on a 20g). On a 45 gallon it would be pushing it, unless you weren't going to do a low nutrient sps setup, then it would probably be ok. For in-sump, my octopus nw200 does good, but you have to have it in a constant water level, and adjust the riser tube every now and then.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Octo NW110 is rated for 90 gallons would this be a good choice for my tank set up if i was to put it in my sump.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you go to big with a skimmer ?? or is it better to stay close to the gallon rating of the skimmer . would that Octopus Nw110 be to big ??

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you can go too big (but I could be wrong) as long as you have the space for it. I would think that would be a good size for your tank.

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think skimmers in the sump are better, but you need at least one divider in the sump so the water level doesnt change. Its a real nightmare to get consistent output for a skimmer in a sump without a constant level

and you cant go too big for skimmers. Better too big than too small.

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With skimmers you tend to get what you pay for!
    You must decide on the amount you are willing to pay for a skimmer, then you can do your R/D on the skimmers in that price range.
    In sump skimmers will save you the over flow troubles, but like its been said earlier you must set the sump up so the water level stays constant. (for the skimmer itself)
    As for the size of the skimmer, Bigger is better to a point!
    If you have 80g system now then I would look at a skimmer that was rated for 150 to 200g. The reason I say this (and this is is just my opinion!) if your like the rest of us, in the back your mind
    you would love to have a bigger tank. So if its in the budget go a little bigger and get one that will handle a bigger tank, and you wont be shorting your self on your 80g setup either..
    As for what style of skimmer, I would look into the new recirculating needle wheel setups.
    One thing a lot of people over look is that the skimmer is important, but its the pump that makes the skimmer what it is! You can take a not so good skimmer and upgrade the pump and make the skimmer perform to a lot higher level. ( Again this is just my opinion, and what I've experienced over the years.) 
    Here are a few that I would buy for my self if I were in the market.
    My 1st pick: http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c..._info.html
    http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopu...r-984.html
    http://www.aquacave.com/rps-135-rec...-2063.html
    Hope this helps, and good luck!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to thank everyone for the excellent advice. It was very helpful in making my decision.

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What was your decision?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    I'm either going to get the Octo DNW-110 or the DNW-150 recirculating skimmer. My foot print in the right side of my sump is 6" x 11". The foot print on the 110 is 5.5" x 11"to put in the sump, the 150 has a foot print of 7.25" x 15" I could use this one but I would have to mount it externally. I would like to see the installation instructions on these.The questions I have on these are; What does your water level have to be in your sump and if you mount it externally how do you plumb it ?. My sump level now is 13". Looks like the water exit on the Octo's is lower than the top of my tank ? Or does it have to sit on a platform to give it the height it needs for the return.  I was on Coralvues web site and could'nt find any information on this. This is a pic of my sump, to the right is the skimmer I have now in my setup. Some more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

14. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would go with the 150, I don't think the 110 will fit inside your sump either! If your sump is 11" and the skimmer is 11" you'd have to shave some off of the bottom plate.

to make it fit and give some clearance so it doesn't vibrate against the glass.

So get the 150 and set it out side the sump, hang it on the front or the right hand side of the sump. If the outlet is not hight enough make a small platform for it to sit on.

Run a small pump to it and run the drain to the left side of the sump, not much to it. You don't need a big pump to feed water to the skimmer because the recirculating pump does all the work, just a small power head should work!

As for adjusting the water level, it should be adjusted the same as your old skimmer.
    Good luck, Post some pics once you get it up and running!

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG][​IMG]  
      Here are the pics of my new skimmer, It's a Octo Extreme 160, I just love it. I was going to go with the Octo DNW-150 Recirculating skimmer but didn't want to lose space in front of my tank. So I ended up draining half my fuge and moved my divider over to make room for a in sump skimmer. This new skimmer has really made a big differance in my water clarity, its just crystal clear. I want to Thank all who gave me great advice. 
    [​IMG] 
    This pic is only after day 4 of break in, skimmate getting thicker and darker everyday.