1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

zoas shrivling up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rverbeck, Mar 16, 2008.

1. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well my zoas that I got a while back have been doing great since I got them. Never a problem. On Fri. I went and got a frog spawn and a trumpet coral from Hung. Since then ALL of my zoas look shriveled up and the bases look thined out. Everything else in the tank seems to be doing fine. My fish are great.  My leathers are perfect, my xenia are alright, shrooms perfect. I thought it might be a water problem so I checked the water and params seem good. My temp is 76, salinity .24, nitrates 0, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, Ph 8.2, Alk 3.5. Just in case, I did a 13 gallon water change anyway. And when I woke up this morning they were worse. I thought it could be that they were getting stung, but that cant be it because I got zoos all over in different spots of my tank and they are ALL doing the same thing. Any ideas. This is frusterating.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I can think of is that they would be stinging them or releasing toxins within the vicinity of the zoas. The sweeper tentacles can reach quite far at night, 6+ inches, so I'd make sure they aren't getting stung at night. In any case, it seems like the new corals are bothering them somehow. How big is the tank? What's the total water volume? I have frogspawn and zoas together in my 75g, and I have a 29g sump, so any toxins they release are probably diluted enough where I don't have any problems, unless something is placed to close to them. Are you running carbon? I would place a good amount in a mesh bag where there's a bit of flow and see if that doesn't help get rid of whatever's in the tank bothering the zoas. Maybe after the stress of transferring dies down a bit the coral will stop emitting so much toxin and you can stop the carbon, or maybe you'll have to keep using it, but not an expensive solution if it works.

3. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or an easier solution would be just to sell all the Zoa's to me really cheap! Poof...problem solved!!! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    Im glad i could help...no thanks needed.

4. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By reeffreak3652 on 03/16/2008 10:27 AM
    Or an easier solution would be just to sell all the Zoa's to me really cheap! Poof...problem solved!!! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    Im glad i could help...no thanks needed.
    That is great!!![​IMG] I love your solution. But I like my zoos. I think I will try the carbon and see how that works.
    As for the water volume, I have a 75 gallon tank and a 15 gallon sump.  I would think that would be enough water. But I'll still try the carbon. Thanks.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any improvements with the carbon yet?

6. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not yet. Everything else in my tank looks to be better ( but there wasnt anything really going on with the rest) but the zoas still pretty much the same. Well I guess I can't say no improvement. Before it was all my different zoos, now its only two  colonies. So there is improvement of some kind.