1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Your thoughts......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Nov 22, 2009.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. So I have been seeing very slow growth on my sps corals. My  tank is a 56 gallon, with 20 gallon rock sump and a ten gallon refuge. Peice of crap coralife skimmer. I use a kalk reator add about a gollon or 2 in freshwater with kalk a day. My calc. stays around 420 to 440. I do use two part on top of the kalk. My alk stays abour 8 or 9. I do a 15 gallon water change ever two weeks. I have a 400 hamilton light, refuge as a coralife 40 watt power compact light on it. My ph stays around 8. Temp only moves about 2 or 3 degress from 78 to 80. I feed with myses shrimp and brine, also use marine snow to help feed the corals a couple times a week. I have two number 4 korlias, so I have plenty of flow. So any thought way I'm not seeing good growth out of my sps corals? Any ideas would be great!!! Thanks!

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What are the dimensions of the tank? You're running one 400watt Hamilton MH right? How old are the bulbs? What K value and brand are the bulbs?

3. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tank is 36x18x21. Yes a MH bulb is a 20k about 3 mth old the bulb is a hamilton.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I heard Anthony Calfo tell several people last week to buy more fish & feed them well.

5. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm don't have MHs, but I've read that the best growth is with 10K. 20K is good for color, but slow growth. 14K has a good compromise of color and growth. 10Ks are matched with PC actinics for added color.

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    the amount of fish is going to help feed the corals for color. What is phosphates? they will cause slower growth. And i would have to agree with bob. Running a 10k with actinic supplement is gowing to help encourage growth. How new are the corals? It can also take months before they settle into a new tank and start growing or color up even. What is magnesium running at? What type of corals are you refering to? Some are slower growers than others.

7. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phos at zero. I only have a few new corals from the fag swap so yo early to tell. I have had many of my corals for about 8 to 10 mths.Mag is over 1400. Mainly my sps corals Caps, green slimer, milli, birdsw nest there are more.I do run a phos bag and carbon as well. Colors are really good just not much growth.