1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Your thoughts on ReefKeeper 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Mar 11, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an opportunity to buy a Reefkeeper 2 and since I have never owned one of these devices, I wondered what the general consensus is.  Is this the brand you own or would buy?  I believe there is a newer version out, would you hold out and buy that one?   It's being offered to me for 250.00 with a PH probe.  I know the person well and I'm sure it's like new.  Thoughts and advice please?

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Save your money get a ACIII. They are worth it. A RKII just doesnt have all the bells and whistles like the ACIII's have. The new RKE's are just too new and "experimental" unless that is, you feel like using your tank as their guinea pig.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robyn, I'm sure the Reefkeeper II is a very good unit. I still would not buy it though. I'd guess there is close to 25% of the people in this club using one of Neptune's AC jr, AC II, or the AC III. I could only tell you that you'll need more than an AC jr. If you get an AC III and need help you'll have a huge bank of knowledge and experience to draw from here. I know when I got my AC Jr einstiens help me out with the programing.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree. If you're on a budget (and who isn't in this hobby) I'd suggest using the ACJR as a stepping stone to the ACIII.

-JB

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so you are saying that the Neptune is the preferred aquacontroller?

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you use two ph probes with the AC jr?  I'm trying to do some research on them now.  When you haven't had any experience with these gadjets, it seems a bit confusing.
    And thanks you guys!  One of the great things about this club is that you can save yourself a lot of grief by getting opinions from those that have experience.

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    If your going to run a bigger tank I'd get the AC3, theres far more options with it rather than the jr

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robyn, for everything you are going to run you'll need the AC III. I went with the Jr because im not running that much. The AC Jr can control up to 12 things while the AC III is able to do far more. The AC Jr can not run a calcium reactor with the safe guards the AC III will provide. The AC II will do 2 ph probes and is even able to run two tanks if you'd like.

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record, I run my 125 with an ACJR and it works great. I would love to have an ACIII but right now I can't justify the HUGE increase in price between the 2.

The nice thing about the JR is it gives you a nice upgrade path. You pay about $300 for the ACJR, but about $200 worth of the equipment that comes with it (DC-8, PH Probe) is usable on an ACIII if you decide to upgrade later. And combine that with the fact that resale of the JR (or any Neptune product) is pretty good, then you're really not out that much if you decide to buy the JR while you save your pennies for the ACIII.

-JB

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would hold off getting an AC3 for a couple of months because the new ReefKeeper 3 will be coming out...when that happens there will be an influx of used AC3's for sale at some good prices as some people will want to be first to have that one.

If you can wait it might be worth it....

eins

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gotta go with Einsteins on this one. I'd definitely wait on the reefkeeper3 and see how it turns out before committing.

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Again, I really appreciate all the input from everyone.

I am leaning towards the Neptune III at this point and I understand what you are saying about waiting.  One of the reasons I am thinking about getting this in the near future is because we are going to Florida the end of May for 5 days and I basically do not have anyone knowledgeable close by that is available to watch my tank.  I will have people that will come and check out the essentials but their knowledge and ability to troubleshoot will be limited.  I guess I was hoping for some miracle device that would give me a little piece of mind.  Of course I really don't know yet what it entails  to hook any up any of those devices to where you can monitor your tank  from afar but I believe  that several of you do.  I also will be getting a calcium reactor in the next month (another move towards autonomy )and I will want to monitor the ph and why buy a ph monitor for it if I'm going to go with a controller?  You see my dilema.   Above all, I am trying to make very well thought out and researched choices so that I am buying the best that I can afford and not have to upgrade in a reasonable amount of time.
    Decisions, decisions.....
    Are there any particular online stores that you recommend as far as buying controllers?  Better prices, customer service or shipping discounts?
    Thanks again guys!

13. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aquacave; I have ordered from them, and they are close by (near chicago) so the free shipping is also fast.  http://www.aquacave.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=457 
    Keep us posted, I'm sure I'm not the only one considering a similar purchase.                     What is the differance between AC3 and AC3 Pro?
    Kevin

14. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got mine from Scott at Aquarium Specialty...he will match any online price...
    He is a great guy to deal with...

eins

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had to wait 2 weeks for my ACIII from aquacave, he failed to mention they don;t carry them in stock and need to be drop shipped from Neptune.