1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

You know you are a reef addict when

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Aug 19, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You are driving down the road & see the telltale sign of blue lights coming from someones window, and stop and ask if they have a saltwater tank.
    At least he was outside, although curiosity would have gotten the better of me & I woulda knocked on the door eventually.
    Really nice guy with nice mixed 55 reef tank.  He had a new 250 sitting in the garage.
    His name (I believe) was Dip Nguyen.  I gave him our website address so welcome him if he shows up.
    Craig

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hehehe I've definetly been in that spot before. It's easy for the trained eye to tell reef lights from GROW lights LOL, you're usually safe asking the people with the pretty blue lights, avoid the more yellow ones /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif.

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOLOLOLOL. Awesome, Now thats what I call dedication. If they dont come to us we'll just go to them, to get new members!! LOL
    Was he like who the heck are you, or was he open to show his tank?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Actually he seemed pretty excited. Very hospitable. I was probably in there 20 minutes or so while they showed me everything.

They spoke very little english so it took a little longer to share our thoughts.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's funny that you posted this because I find my self always searching for those lights when ever I'm out and about too. LOL

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's really cool.

I wonder if he knows Hung then. He knows a lot of Nguyens in the area.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That would depend on if you want what they are growing .... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 08/19/2009 02:36 PM

Posted By Jmadison on 08/19/2009 01:30 PM
    Hehehe I've definetly been in that spot before. It's easy for the trained eye to tell reef lights from GROW lights LOL, you're usually safe asking the people with the pretty blue lights, avoid the more yellow ones /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif.
    That would depend on if you want what they are growing .... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif
    I thought chlorophyl fed plants liked something down in the 6800k range(more yellow) but maybe I need to change my setup... err I mean.  Why how are you funding your reef addiction /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif?!?!?

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Bluer lights for plant growth, Yellow/Orange for Vegetation growth...didn't any of you go to college? Jeez!

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I sell little bags full of good **** man, how bout you?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sell high end spices like oregano to resteraunt workers... college kids... hip parents... musicians... sick people... well it's weird how many people love to cook!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 08/19/2009 03:11 PM
    Bluer lights for plant growth, Yellow/Orange for Vegetation growth...didn't any of you go to college? Jeez!
    I have some 6800k bulbs for sale, looking to trade for something with a bit more color, got moderate growth out of my pl.... reef with these. Baaahhahaha

13. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's how to make good butter.
    Boil oregano.  Strain, but keep the water, throw away the rest.   Boil regular butter with the strained water and put in fridge over night.  Scoop out the creme on the top and BAM!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats how I make my famous oregano brownies! Have to use butter though because the active ingredient in the oregano is fat soluable. Some people even leave the spice in the butter, I believe this to be a preference thing. I take mine out.

15. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok guys. Its gettiing a little out of control here. A few of you should stop and think of what kind of members we have here. Uhhmm like a few cops. When you see the stuff I have to deal with and put people away for you'll think its really not that funny.

16. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My brother's old landlord called the cops on him because his room was glowing blue. The cops came to his door and even had to check it out! They laughed and checked the tank out for a couple minutes before leaving...

17. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Sir, I started it. I apologize, just havin' a little fun.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 08/19/2009 08:24 PM

Posted By jwess on 08/19/2009 06:49 PM
    Ok guys. Its gettiing a little out of control here. A few of you should stop and think of what kind of members we have here. Uhhmm like a few cops. When you see the stuff I have to deal with and put people away for you'll think its really not that funny.
    Sorry Sir, I started it. I apologize, just havin' a little fun.
    As am I, I guess we're bordering on conspiracy to manufacture? Anywho, along the topic of mistaken MH's and reefing equipment, did anyone see that article (I think last year) where a plumber or cable or whatever man smelled chems and saw them in her bathroom and saw lights coming from under a door of a room in some ladies house while he was doing his service call. He told the cops and they hit her house with swat only to find a reef and some salt.

19. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if those types of stories are legends or what. But there's another one of a guy selling phytoplankton. They made a trade off in a parking lot and I guess some cops saw them and pulled them over thinking they were dealing drugs.

Also, the cops in helicopters looking for hot spots with thermal vision. Raided a guy that had a few 400 watt halides that they thought could be growing marijuana.

20. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i had the cops come over and walk a dog around the outside of my house when my electric billed doubled when i started my reef tank. talked to the cop when he was here and said it was just routine when they have large spikes in electical ussages