1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Xenia harvesting advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Jun 20, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Once upon a time I put some xenia in my tank 'cuz they were so cool the way they pulsed. Well, now they're going great guns and have world domination on their mind.
    So I plan on arranging a rubble corral around them for future containment, but what's the best way to trim them from LR? Razor blade, lawn mower, flame thrower? And I'm guessing like most softies, I don't want to trim them in the DT, so I'm looking at pulling my LR apart?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I asked the same questions last month. If you are not looking to keep them, you could just make a kalk paste, like what you would use to kill majano or aptasia. I started using that to kill of some of the xenia and some mushrooms that where getting out of control. It worked pretty well for me.

3. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i just cut them off with scissors as close to the live rock as possable. then glue them to a plug they look like crap for a few days but recover quickly. new ones will grow from whats left on the rock in a short time so if you dont want them there then put kalk past or use a brush to scrape them off. as far as being worried about cutting them in the display tank just do one at a time and you should be ok I have never had a problem in my tank. also if you want to slow down there growth make sure you nitrates are under control the lower your nitrates are the slower they multiply.

4. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This may not be the right way, but it has worked for me since the beginning. I hook the edge of the coral where it is connected to the rock, glass, what have you with my finger nail and genitally pull it lose. If I need to split them I slice them with a razor. They have to be about the most forgiving coral to work with.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Peel off the mat w/fingernail then kalk the area whenever you see a sprout.
    May take a month or two to fully rid the infestation but it won't be terrible if you keep up on it.
    I used to think they were kewl as well...then I went through getting rid of them in 2004.  Some of the rocks were so bad that I just sold them.
    HTH!
    -E

6. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just pull it off slowly and most of the time that works just fine

7. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does this also work for Waving Hands? I have some waving hands that have quadrupled in a month !!

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    "i just pull it off slowly and most of the time that works just fine"

It'll usually come back.
    "Does this also work for Waving Hands? I have some waving hands that have quadrupled in a month !!"
    Waving hands, anthelia, xenia, cloves, etc.  Also works for gsp, runaway sps, runaway zoos...seems like everything but aptasia.
    -Eric

9. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bob, Told you that they would do just fine for you./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

10. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Newbeme on 06/21/2009 03:23 PM
    Hey Bob, Told you that they would do just fine for you./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    yeah, that thing is huge!! - and it's actually split into different stems(?) - very cool to see it thrive, but it's kind of scary to think what would happen without trying to control it. I've also got some xenia, so I think I'll have to control both pretty closely. btw....the kenyas are doing great also