1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

X-10 modules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Jan 5, 2008.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a ACII and got some X-10 modules with it and well I'm not really like them. The dang things just seem to turn off and on when ever the want and I'm not likeing it when my halides shut off for no reason.
    So what I want to know is there any thing else I can use besides X-10 modules? If there is please let me know.
    Thanks.

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BigBlue on 01/05/2008 6:28 PM
    I just got a ACII and got some X-10 modules with it and well I'm not really like them. The dang things just seem to turn off and on when ever the want and I'm not likeing it when my halides shut off for no reason.
    So what I want to know is there any thing else I can use besides X-10 modules? If there is please let me know.
    Thanks.
    You might need to disable local control on the modules as well as add a noise filter if you have any flourescent ballast attached.
    The other option is DC-4, DC-4HD, and DC-8. They run around $150 each for the later two, and around $130 for the DC-4. If you have the money they are the way to go for sure. Go to NeptuneSys.com and look at their products. Their prices are not the best though.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use a bunch of X10's. I've got an amplifier and phase coupler and they work pretty well. I also have the issue where my halides shut off for no reason I can find and then turn right back on after the 10 minute configured wait period. I do not notice this problem with other devices so I am actually thinking it may be a bug with the Max Change command on the ACII. Do you use this command? I am thinking about removing it to see if I still have the problem.

4. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where did you get your acII buy it new???

5. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm still getting to know so I don't really know what the Max Change command is. If you do shut it off and that helps solve the problem please let me know.
    I got my ACII from another reefer.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BigBlue on 01/06/2008 12:55 AM
    I'm still getting to know so I don't really know what the Max Change command is. If you do shut it off and that helps solve the problem please let me know.
    I got my ACII from another reefer.
    Do you have aquanotes? If you do, copy and paste your program onto here, we can look over your program and see if there are any issues that might be causing it. Generally though any problem I had when using X-10 modules on my tank was due to local control on the modules and noise from ballasts causing them to act unreliably. When I put the noise isolators on my ballasts and cut the jumper in the module for local control my problems went completely away.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Monty, let me look into some stuff and i will give you a call. The only problem, i have with the x10's is my actinics turn on from 23:10-23:20 every night. It sounds like you have some electrical interference, let me see if i can find a link on cutting the local control jumper. That would be a good place to start.

Sorry your having so many problems.

Have you ordered that serial port yet? Soon as you get that installed we can get you setup with aquanotes and you will be rockin'!

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It looks like you can get phase couplers for $1 on ebay and in line noise filters for around $10. If it were me i would see wiether it is the appliance plugged in causing the problem, or if it is something in the line. To do that i would start with your actinics, unplug them from the x10 and plug in a normal lamp or radio or something, then wait for it and see if it turns on/off irradictly. If it doesn't then you will know that it is your actinic ballast causing the interference and not a problem with the line. If this is the case a $10 noise filter will take care of it. Thats the route i would go, unless you wanna lay down another $170 for a dc8.....ouch.

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I dunno, from the things I've read, I don't know that I would trust any of the critical functionality on my tank to an X10 module.

-JB

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All he's using them for are lights, i run most of my stuff with x10's w/o an issue. I wouldn't trust them on a heater, although i have had to do it for awhile when my heater's thermostat went out on me. I use them on most of my other things w/o any issues.  I would love to have a DC8, but the price neptune charges is just rediculous, plus who only has 8 things they want to control?  Another problem is, i have stuff upstairs and downstairs, i would to have at least 2.  I say screw all that, unless you got money growing on trees and you are ready to burn it, x10's do just fine.  Then again, i don't have electrical issues in my house, nor do i live in an apartment where my nieghbor could screw up my system with his new RC car or something.   I guess i should just consider myself lucky to be able to get by with them.
    Like i said, if you are going to just use them to control your lights a dc8 just isn't worth it IMO.
    Monty if you want to sell the x10's back i will gladly take them.

11. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I unhooked my X-10 from my actinics and just plugged them in to my powerbar. Then plugged a lamp in to the x10 and so far the lamp has not shut off. So I guess its my actinic ballast. So it looks like I'm going to have to order a $10 noise filter.
    I'm going to order my serial port tonight so hopfully it will be here Wensday.
    Thanks you guys for all your help with this.

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Monty, i figured that was probably your culprit. When i had my outer orbit fixture the actinics would act up every once in awhile.You could just put your actinics back on a timer for the time being.

13. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Might want to talt to Matt the Fiddler

He just lost his whole system due to x10 malfunction....

eins

14. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmmm................./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 01/06/2008 8:26 PM
    Might want to talt to Matt the Fiddler

He just lost his whole system due to x10 malfunction....

eins
    Wasnt that because he lives in a apt. and was using the x10's to control things like topoff w/o proper redundancy?  For instance i have mine controling my top off but it can only possibly dose 1 gallon before the pump runs dry.
    I'm not saying x10's are the best solution in the world here but they used to sell the x10's long before the direct boxes came out.
    X10's are perfectly fine if you use them wisely.
    I

16. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do live in an apartment. And would not reccomend using x-10 for anything other than wave makers and minor tank control

Speaking of which, I also have a bunch of x-10 for sale.....

17. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Matt I am interested in the x10's. PM me what you have and how much. Like Jeremy said and really like anything, if you use them wisely they seem to work very well. I can agree I would never want to run them in an apartment because there would be too many unknowns. But I also know I would never have thought of that before hooking them up in an apartment.

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and using x10 receptacles on my Koralias for a wavemaker burns up the x10 relay pretty quick. You have to use appliance modules.