1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTT 400 Watt Blueline MH for 250w

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bela, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I recently bought a 400w Blueline metal halide ballast quick disconnect and mogul socket along with a reflector aside a 250w MH of the same. I was planning on running them side by side, not thinking about the fact that the 400w was going to look much brighter on the tank than the 250w. Now, I am wanting to trade it for a 250w setup equivalent which I will supplement with T-5s. Not looking for cash or anything, just an even trade. Seems like a ood deal to me. They are retrofit and I am also looking for the 250 to be retrofit. Here is a pic. The 400w is the one in the center. http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/LordoftheReef/metalhalide.jpg [​IMG]

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also take an icecap 660 with all the proper wiring as the person I was going to purchase that from is MIA! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif

3. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    did you think of runnign a 20K bulb on the 400 watt? it will look balanced compared to a 10 250 watter that in the center would be perfect!

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only have a single 400w and a single 250w. Wouldnt the two of those together look bad?
    I am also considering just grabbing another 250 and just doing 250 400 250. That should be enough light over my 150, but I also don't want to break the bank!

5. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ehhhh??? The Pic shows a 3 halide set up

or is that from the archives?

6. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 660 i might consider the trade... it is brand new too.....

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The picture here is not a picture I took. Someone purchased one of the 250w halides so I got to go with the 250 and the 400.

If you do want to trade please do let me know asap as I have a purchase pending on RC and I don't want to keep the guy waiting as I already haggles the hell out of him lol. Is it just the 660 ballas. That you have or do you have the harness, endcaps, etc.

8. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use a 250 and a 400 watter
    they (last time) were both 20K I have done 20K and 10K, as well as 20K and 6.5K

they look fine to me... A 20K or 14K bulb will look dimmer than a 10K... if you don't mind the color matching...

OR>.. run each alone except for an hour long overlap at high noon.. simulate the rising and setting sun.. all corals get the light they need, and you never have the mismatched look going on.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Clever. I think you just saved me some time and money. I love the idea. I will have to try it before finalizing anything and see if I like it, but I think I will /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

10. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    plus, less chiller running, AND less electricity is always a good thing...

fwiw, if you have sps... with VHO start with for 12 hours of light, 6- 7 hours or so with MH, 4 per side w/ overlap or
    with 2 MH only I would do 10 hours, 5-6 per side.