1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB: sump...

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Jtown, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking for an inexpensive, but decent, sump. Have a 20 tall to use but want one with separate compartments to put sand bed and/or fuge in. For a 58g tank but needs to fit in stand so less than 30" long. Width and height shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody has anything laying around or not in use... Lemme kno.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can turn your 20 into a sump with a few pieces of plexiglass and some 100% silicone :)

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I read a thing about that and seems super easy and CHEAP which I like. Lol. I just see those cool fancy ones that I think I need but obviously don't. If somebody had one laying around for less than 50$ I'd take it, if not I'll learn how to build one real fast I guess.

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i built mine twice before it held water, i need to redo mine again and make my intake side bigger and make my fuge smaller cause if i upgrade skimmers i dont know if i'll have room unless i drill my sump and make it an external one. its easy to build just make sure you have everything before you build it so you know how much room you need on the return and intake side of it.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i want skimmer on the intake side correct??? Intake with skimmer, fuge in the middle with deep sand bed and chaeto, then return just small enough to hold pump??? Sound about right or am I way off???

6. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    here ya go, I would not use sand bed, just me. if you do a fuge I would use miracle mud. kinda hard in such a small foot print. Can you run your skimmer external above the sump? Slow the flow through the fuge(no 2200gph! kinda stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_QporOTvo

dave

7. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    want to make sure you have enough water in your return section to compensate for evaporation. you dont want to run your return pump dry and kill it. I dont have a sand bed just live rock and cheato. yes skimmer on intake side.

I dont think he will have enough room for an external skimmer under his stand. he dont have the luxory of an equipment room like you do :)

8. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a megaflow sump 2 or 3 sitting in my basement (iowa city). I would take $50 for it.

9. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well you may just have it sold my friend! It would cost me 20-30 bucks for material for the DIY way anyways so for a few bucks more save me the hassle. can you post a pic???

10. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pm sent... Ill take it! Assuming it doesnt leak of course....

11. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ps thanks guys for the info and links... I feel like a sump expert after watching that dude on youtube. lol.
    Chris ill text ya later in the week and we can get together bro!

12. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Justin, I have a 30 sitting around all compartmental and everything. Ready to go. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would save some driving as well.