1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by adampottebaum, Jul 1, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

I asked Dr SHimek about it & here is the response I got.

Hi Craig,

What will go on is not so much chemical warfare as "chemical signalling."  Each of these animals produces a "chemical signature," a waterborne odor, characteristic of its kind.  When this odor is sensed by another anemone, that animal may become "aggressive."  It will extend out its tentacles to extra long lengths, and it may bend or move upstream - toward the other anemone - with the intention of fighting with it.  There is no "thought" to this, anemones, of course, do not think, but it is all the result of a series of reflex behaviors.

So, the real problem of keeping individuals of two or more species of anemones can be solved by eliminating their particular chemical exudates, which will keep the aggressive responses to a minimum.  This can be done by filtering the water or maybe by proper positioning of the animals.  They can coexist for a long time.  A problem will occur, however, if a change happens and one or the other of them senses the "invader."

Aggressive anemones, in nature, fight until either one dies or moves away.  In an aquarium, the loser really can't move anywhere, and the winner may pursue it to kill it.  Damage to both animals can occur, and often both animals will die.

So... The bottom line, in a large tank it is possible to keep two or even more different anemones, but there is a potential risk involved.  One needs careful placement, and careful water "maintenance" to ensure that no problem erupts.

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good Craig! I'm going to be getting some good carbon going too because I still have that Ritteri anemone from Sang in IC that's doing great. It's a 4th or 5th generation clone so it's quite adapted to tank conditions. My clowns still won't host it, so I'm hopin they will host a RBTA. Also, the RBTA looks a lot nicer too.

3. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
  4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for the help Justin but we're looking at ROSE bubble tip anemones. The regular bubble tips are pretty easy to come by. Thanks