1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by adampottebaum, Jul 1, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I was hoping someone from the Cedar Falls/Waterloo or even the Cedar Rapids area has a RBTA for sale. If someone has one and feels confident enough they could even split it and make some money for it. I've never split an anemone before but I understand it's fairly easy. Basically you just take a razor to it and slice in half, I think... Maybe someone will chime in on this, I know MANY people have done this... I plan on going to CR sometime next week, so it would have plenty of time to heal if split!
    Adam from CF

2. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one I would sell for $120 firm dr.fosters sells these for like 150 plus shipping which is what i paid, that is the cheapest place you will find... these are very expensive... but I don't feel comfortable in splitting it... I need to work on my lighting otherwise I wouldn't sell it... also I have one other anemone that is HUGE and my other clown fish are dumb and aren't taking up to it.... you can call me 319-899-3875 my name is Marc and I live in CR...

3. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I might consider a trade of 150+ value...

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    $120 for a RBTA? Usually you can find them within the club for $50 quite often.

I bought my nice one from Eintsein last month for $40.

I will check & see if mine is big enough to split tonight.

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea sorry Marc, that's quite a bit higher than I'm willing to pay. I'm thinking closer to $50. Also, you can buy them at many online vendors for under $100, so local on anything like corals or anemones it's at least half that. Drs Foster and Smith don't sell any different species than the next person, so I think I'll have to pass. Thanks though for the offer.
    Craig, didn't you used to have a dozen+ before the flood? I know you used to split those quite regularly.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By adampottebaum on 07/02/2009 07:40 AM
    Craig, didn't you used to have a dozen+ before the flood? I know you used to split those quite regularly.
    Ya I was up to 13.
    I wanted to make sure this baby was healthy enough before I started slicing it.
    I also have a purple LTA that is awesome that I am going to split one of these days.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not to sidetrack the thread too much but ......
    Craig what is the process to split them??? I had no idea you could split them intentionally without killing them.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Pretty simple

The first thing is you need to start with a very healthy specimen, that is the most important.

You take them out of the tank & put them on a clean cutting surface. Let them sit for about a minute while they expel all their water.

Then you gently spread the tentacles in half to reveal the mouth. I use a nice filet knife & slice them in the middle.

You then gently pinch the ends together for a few minutes. They will do this somewhat on their own but it helps.

I usually let them sit in a buckrt of tank water for about 15 minutes before putting them back in. If you have clowns that host it or very strong current it is best to put them
    into a refugium or protected area of the tank.

Next day they are usually mostly healed.

If you feed them they will be back to normal size in 4 weeks.

Note on feeding. Food should be meaty, but chopped up very fine.

Once I get up & going on them again I may have everyone over after a tank tour to demonstrate it.

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does this work with any species or are there ones that you should not try manually splitting. I can't imagine trying my PTip Sabae even though he is 12 inches wide. Not to mention getting him out of tank would be terribly difficult. I am not interested in splitting him but maybe others in the future.

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 07/02/2009 09:12 AM
    Does this work with any species or are there ones that you should not try manually splitting. I can't imagine trying my PTip Sabae even though he is 12 inches wide. Not to mention getting him out of tank would be terribly difficult. I am not interested in splitting him but maybe others in the future.
    Yes you can but, the tan/brown ones do best.

11. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's quite alright on the sidetrack, I was going to ask that myself!

Craig- is that purple long tentacle from the blue zoo group buy? That would be pretty sweet to have too... Also, I should have some different zoas ready for your bare bottom soon. Each frag has about 10 polyps. One is blue, the other is green/yellow.

12. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    dr. fosters does carry rbta they are in there divers den under invert... and you will see they are for 149.99... also i am a bit of a tightwad if i could have found them anywhere else i would have gotten them there... these are truly hard to get....
    here is the link for all ya"ll:       http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/Ca...m?c=2733+4

13. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to see a link  posted for under a hundred... believe I've looked...if you can find them its gonna be well over hundred...

14. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    petland has one and i am pretty sure brett was going to sell it for around $80

15. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have one i dont want and id sell for $50... but u gotta come get it in council bluffs.. i also have a purple bta.. never seen one like it before...

16. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I didn't have too much trouble finding a bunch...
    http://www.aquacon.com/anemone.html
    http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=02-1518-10&Category=Coral%20And%20Invertebrates:Anemones&SortBy=Price
    http://www.marinesgardens.com/Dynamic/www/products_corals_LPS_01_eng.php?cat_id=23&prod_id=295
    http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=51_63&products_id=2374
    http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=51_63&products_id=2785
    http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=151500L
    http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1068&cid=74
    http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/true-rose-anemone-medium-from-balli-p-6658.html

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    speaking of which I split mine last night. They looked good this morning. I am going to wait about 3 weeks & split them both again & then I can get you one.

18. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    sorry if this goes off subjuct but do they have a tendency to move around because I would love to have one but i don't want it moving all the time and killing my corals. I have a bright green flower anonme that hasn't moved since i put him in a year ago and if i could find a rose with the same trait that would be great

19. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    They will wander until they find a place that will make them happy.

Many people will argue but you arent supposed to have more then 1 anemone per tank unless they are clones. Everything may seem fine, but they are having chemical warfare all the time. Running carbon will help, but is still not the best answer.

20. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    what if you have a large tank because mine is a 300 gallon with a 125 also on the sytem so with filters its about 550 gal total water volume