1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

wtb macro lens for Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by billbigsbe, Aug 13, 2009.

1. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any help or suggestions will be great, otherwise Christian Photo is gonna kill my nonexistant budget. I am looking for a referal on a decent macro lens for my Nikon D40. I know that the Nikon macro is crazy $. Or can I get decent pictures w/what I have? Gettin sick of the whole tank shots. Thanks
    here is the weirdest pic that I can come up with, reflected! This was before the crash! :-(
    [​IMG]

2. agent-o2

agent-o2 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Might be good to know what lens your shooting with now, You might want to look at Sigma lenses they are slightly cheaper than the nikon equivalent. *edit nikon does make AFS macro lenses now.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ehh just get an olympus underwater camera with a macro setting :) does just as well but gotta get wet

4. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I shoot Pro part time, and when I want an alternative to Nikon, Tamron seems to be nearly as crisp and sharp.

5. jd

jd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i've seen people use reverse rings with excellent results, and at $10, it's worth a try

6. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    we are using the original lens and have a long lens. looking to get only the lens not another camera. what is a reverse ring?

7. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am a chapter leader on the MCA (Midwest Cichlid Association). We have a photography 101 section that. There is a lady who knows her stuff on there. Cavy2. You will havet to register on there and shoot her a pm. She is extremly into Nikons. She can probably find you one or point you in the right direction of one. She has taken pics that have been used in magizines I believe. Her screen name is Cavy2, but her name is Cathy.

http://www.midwestcichlid.com/

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have the reverse rings and the macro filters for my D40 but they are nothing like the real thing. Let us know if you find something Dave without spending $400.
    P.S. You never PMed back on when you want to drill that tank. I am holding your $25 hostage until I hear from you.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A co-worker of mine does a lot of photography and he recommended trying a non-DX lens with an extension tube. He mentioned that he had good success with that prior to getting a real macro lens.

--AJ

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks SGM!!!!! Great info, I will look into it... Joel keep the $ gonna sell the breeder and get some frag off ya in the future or mabe give me a frag today and let it grow out until I see ya! It will be killer by then!!!LOL Thanks for all of your help guys I will post any findings! Dave

11. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will, of course, hook ya up Dave!