1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB Live Rock

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by tony_s, Nov 11, 2009.

1. tony_s

tony_s Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looking to add some more live rock to my tank to replace some already in there . I have a 14g biocube so looking for some nice pieces that would fit in a nano. Please let me know if you have anything.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Tony,
    What area are you in? I have some dry rock (about 50 lbs or so...much more than you need) if you're interested. Dry rock is good because it doesn't come with any hitchhikers like aiptasia and majano, but it is more work. You have to cook it by putting it in a dark bucket with a power head and do weekly water changes for a month. I would like $2 a lb. Let me know if you're interested. I can provide pics upon request.

--AJ

3. tony_s

tony_s Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello,

I am in Mason City, about an hour or so away from CF/Waterloo Area. I am for sure interested but I have a question. My tank is still cycling and I am looking to replace some of the rock I currently have because I am unhappy with most of it. I bought it sight unseen and some of it is too big and really not what I was looking for. So my question is, can I add the dry rock to my existing set up and let it do its thing in there? I am not looking to add livestock until it is fully ready, I am willing to have patience and just get everything right the first time.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Tony,
    That's a great question...you know, I don't know for sure. It might extend your cycle time. Anyone out there have an answer? BTW, you have the right attitude about setting up your tank. Your patience will pay dividends when you're able to keep all your fish and corals alive by not putting them thru a cycle.

Also, you can always bust up your live rock into smaller pieces... Is it purely size that's bothering you or is it the rock itself? Not porous enough, etc.

--AJ

5. tony_s

tony_s Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The size is a big issue but also the look of it. A lot of it is just flat smooth pieces. I would have liked rock with more shape and more pourous. I have just been unhappy with any aquascape I could get out of it. And overall look of the rock. I'm not even sure what kind of rock it is exactly but I know I wish I would have looked around more before buying it. I guess I learned. How would I go about breaking the rock if I chose to do that to one of the bigger pieces?

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the state of the dry rock. If the dry rock has a bunch of dead matter on it (which is likely) it will have an impact on the cycle. You will essentially be cooking the rock in the tank instead of a separate container. There's nothing wrong with doing it this way if you don't have any livestock and you're willing to wait. Just make sure your protein skimmer is working right. Cooking rock can also be a "smelly" process, so be ready for that as well.

Hope that helps.

-JB

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's kind of what I was suspecting JB.  When I was cooking my rock, the first water change looked like tea and stunk bad.  The rest were not too bad.  With that in mind, if it were me, I would cook the rock in a separate 5 gallon bucket.  Even adding more live rock later may cause a mini-cycle while the bacteria colonizes the new rock.
    Considering that it sounds like you're looking for specific things with your rock, I would feel better about getting you pics and making sure you know what you're getting before you commit to buy anything.  I'll see what I can get in the next day or so.  I'll post them on this thread.
    --AJ

8. tony_s

tony_s Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much to the both of you for the quick responses. I'll check back on the thread also when you have uploaded some pictures and let you know. But as of right now I am very interested. Thanks again.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ, I need some rock too if you have some left after tony pics what he wants... want to seed about 150 pounds of dry rock myself.

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. I have about another 50 lbs or so that I just took out of a tank that had majano and aiptasia on it. It's drying now and will need to be cooked. You can buy it now for $2 a lb, but you will want to dry it and cook it before you use it. I'll take pics of everything and post it shortly.

--AJ

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah it looks like I didn't read. I thought it was live rock. Dry rock isn't going to seed my tank much LOL.

12. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey Tony, if you like what AJ has and get him the funds, I can pick it up at Fall Fest this weekend and bring it to Cedar Falls. It would be about half the distance for you to drive if you wanted...

If you bring some water containers I can also do a water change before you come and save my water from my tank. This water will be full of beneficial bacteria that will help your cycle, plus you won't need to use any of your synthetic salt on it!

Let me know if your interested, otherwise I'd be interested in some of AJ's rock for my new upgrade from a 72 gal. to a 125 gal.