1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB....LARGE skimmer

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by saltwaternewbee, Oct 20, 2009.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for a skimmer that can handle 500g. I bought 1 online and it arrived broken...looks like the shippers getting the money back to me ...so i need another. Please let me know if hear of anything. Thanks

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you able to fix that one. B-Rad didn't think it would be problem. Or are you sending it back to the seller.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Couple large ones up on RC, dunno what's a good price for something that size though.

4. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  5. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Get the orca, you can't beat that for the price.

6. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could just build one with a 5 gallon water jug and save yourself $800

http://diyproteinskimmer.blogspot.com/

7. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have found that you get back what you put into it. Like if someone told you that Mc Donalds McFlurry sprinkles make a great alternative food source for your reeftank. It may keep them alive but it isnt the best solution...

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying my DIY Water Bottle doesn't work well Dave?? Huh, Huh are you?? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif I'll put it up against you're 800 dollar skimmer.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having seen Joel's display I would bet that his skimmer works just fine /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif For some reason, in this hobby, people tend to think that the more money you sink into it, the better it will be. While I am not saying that is ALWAYS wrong, sometimes going a cheap route is just fine. Plenty of my stuff has been the "cheaper DIY route" and it has been working great.

10. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey I would be interested in building one of those protein skimmers...The site you put down doesnt work...How did you end up making yours and what do you estimate it to be rated for? If you would like you could e-mail me at trevhead892yahoo.com

Trevor

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Site works for me. Are you usre you entered it in (or copied and pasted) it right?

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think you said you live in Ames Trevor, come on over. I am north of Boone about 25 minutes from you. But as bela said, that link works for me too. I actaually saw it long ago when I built mine. There are several other sites too as well as VERY long thread or two on RC. 
    Here are couple more links: (These are more about how different skimmers work)
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/thoughts/
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm
    Here are some on design:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/fo...immer.html

http://www.fishkeepersforum.org/har...0Build.htm
    I made a Beckett style, so that is what many of my links are for. I have more if you want them.

13. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    has anyone ever built that skimmer?

14. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry posted to late

15. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Joel, that's awesome that you built a skimmer like that. I looked at that exact same site and was about to make one. Does yours have the handle on it? I bought a jug from culligan so I could have the bottle style without a handle, but before I started cutting it up to do this project my mom returned it for a deposit! I never tried it after that. I might go buy another one soon unless I can just use a handled bottle instead. I have one of those without a lid that would be perfect. Do you have any pics of yours?

16. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jtsdall when would I be able to see your system? posibly tonight I get of at 330 if we could meet up after that Id like to come over and see it...Call me at 319-929-1504...Thanks

Trevor

17. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Adam, no I made sure to get the ones without a handle. I am building a new model with three water bottles stacked on top of each other. My current one is working well enough though that I haven't been in a hurry.
    My first two builds were needle wheel but I like the current version much better, a Beckett. The new might have two beckets on it depending on how well the first one works. With becketts though you need a high pressure pump, although I am using  Mag 18 currently but normally I run it off my central pump.
    I am available tonight. I took the day off to work on the house. Trevor, send me your email in a PM and I will send you a PDF map to my place. PS, have a bunch of frags as well. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    It isn't pretty but it works well. Picture is about a year old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Future build in process:
    [​IMG]

18. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What, 3 buckets! haha. That's huge. How are they connected?

Also, would it work to have the handled style?

19. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The handled one really wouldn't work well because you would have to cut them down too far, you would lose a couple of feet I would guess.
    I use weld-on 16 to glue them together. It works very well. I have glued the third one on yet though because I keep thinking about putting in a bubble plate.

20. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK Rich, you may want to start a new thred, this one got rail roaded. LOL
    P.S. I do like the DIY skimmer.