1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB Kalwasser Supply`s

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Phathead, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to start dosing my tank and I am looking for any kalk stirrers or dosing pumps anyone has to get rid of.  Let me know.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    5 Gallon bucket and two MJ 1200's make a great Kalk stirrer IMO. I have been using this setup for about a year and half. I also have two floats one in the sump and one in the kalk bucket. Works very well.

3. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    what do you mean floats?

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Float valves to keep constant levels in the sump and in the kalk bucket. Mine is all automated. I know people don't like floats but if you clean and inspect them regularly they work well. I have been using them for over 2 years without issue.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How regularly is regular? I've been dreaming up an in sump Kalk stirrer for a while now because I don't think my level-loc would handle Kalk very well. Is your set-up a gravity drip line? Or do the floats activate a dosing pump?

6. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    SO I understand you would have a kalk bucket with a dosing pump going to sump with a float valve but what would the float valve be for in the kalk bucket?

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Float valve in the Kalk bucket hooked up to your RO/DI source, float valve in tank to top-off with Kalk. The pumps just keep it all stirred up in the bucket.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, I've heard a lot of people use Mrs Wages Pickling lime as their Kalk source. You can buy this at the grocery store for $2 a lb. Does anyone else dose Mrs Wages instead of other relatively expensive Kalk sources?

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very close but both pumps are not to stir. One feeds my sump to top off, the other is for stirring. I don't like gravity fed, it clogs to much.
    My system is almost completely automated with the AC3. I mix 20 gallons of salt water and put one cup of kalk per week in the bucket.
    Mrs Wages works just fine. Many people use it, I think it is more like $6 a can at HyVee but that may be a third pund I don't know. I actually get mine at bulk reef supply in a 2 gallon bucket.
    So to explain the kalk stirrer completely:
    Float valve in sump hooked to Mj 1200 in kalk bucket. This MJ turns on once every 2 hours for 10 minutes to top off tank with Kalk. This float MUST be cleaned regularly!!
    Float valve in kalk bucket hooked to RO/DI reservoir. Sump Pump in RO/DI reservoir is also controlled by AC3 to come on twice a day to top off Kalk bucket. This also tops off my freshwater tanks upstairs using the same floats.
    After the kalk bucket is topped off the AC3 turns on the MJ1200 in the bottom of the bucket for 5 minutes to stir it up good. It then is allowed to settle for a minimum of a half hour before topping off the sump otherwise there would be snowstorm.
    I think that is it, a few points:
    1. KEEP FLOATS CLEANED, right Waverz?
    2. MJ's only last about a year in that 12pH environment. The impellor disentegrates.
    3. Use 3/8 inch lines and floats. 1/4" clogs too quick.
    4. Good Float valves are $8 at Us Plastics
    Another note:
    I also use a similar MJ system and the same float valve in my sump to control automatic water changes. I change three gallons a day and never carry a bucket. I just mix salt water weekly and maintain the components. It is awesome from a cost and work standpoint. Once you have an AC3 life is much easier.

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mrs Wages was $2 the last time I got it Hyvee, but that was 6 months ago to deal with some aiptasia. Your system sounds nice JT. Do you have to supplement at all with Bicarb?

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well it is easy to maintain anyway with all the automation. My days get so full things would go undone and we know what that does to a reef tank. No that isn't a problem. About an hour or two on the weekends takes care of it and then any othertime I spend is what I want to do to improve it.
    I imagine what I saw of the wages was a bigger bottle or a three pack or something. I didn't actually buy it I just noticed it. Moral of the story is it can definitely be used.
    Hmmm, nope no sodium bicarb. That is for alkalinity which is what the Kalk is for as well as calcium, maybe I am missing something there. I used to use Sodium Bicarb for my two part alk solution but not now. I do dose with Mg but that is it. Well, I do add a little Iodine and Potassium when my tests are low. But I do this rarely as it is very dangerous. So most people should ignore the Iodine and K.

12. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok I am starting to understand now I am just confused onthe float valve in Kalk bucket I assumed it was from R/O unit which it is but if that fills the kalk bucket back up do you have to add more MG every time you add R/O? Sorry I feel like I am asking alot of questions for something that should already know. LOL

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mg disappears much mroe slowly than Ca and Alkalinity. It's probably something you only need to dose up every couple of weeks. I dose 2 part every night now and really want to switch to Kalk...

14. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that is what i use and it is a never ending job! AC3 and Calcium Reactor are definetely on the list of things to buy so jealous of peoples automated systems.

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry about asking questions, reef tanks are sort of like computers, you can never know everything. Plus I need another blue ricordia from you since my hydronophora ate my last one. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Sulfuric Acid Hurts has it right. I add two cups of Mg on the weekend directly to the sump.

16. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOL that sucks unfortunelty I dont have any of Ricordea left none at all. The rest I did have are still in michigan. If you can remember back in I think June my ric tank was overcome with a bug that ate over 90% of my rics. I considered it a total loss. But dont worry I can still get rics from the same guy in florida. The blue ones came off a huge colony, so I am sure I can get some more for you. I know I would like some more too.

17. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my bad I am not confused on the MG but the actual Kalk recipe. I gues lets start with what is your recipe for the bucket I assume it is R/O and then a cup or two of other chemicals then you mix together and let settle in bucket before turning pump on. So if you use it all and the R/O turns on then isnt that mainly R/O in the bucket then? LOL I am so confused

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The bucket is pure kalkwasser or Lime or Mrs Wages lime, nothing else. A little less than a cup a week for my 400 gallons.

19. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I picked up 9-1lb containers of Mrs Wages at my local grocery store for $.25 each can, off season in the clearance isle!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a freakin deal B-Rad...