1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB: Hey everyone! ISU Student Reefer starting a pico

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by helitaiwan963, Nov 8, 2011.

1. helitaiwan963

helitaiwan963 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    I'm starting a 5gal pico with a fluval chi and I'm looking for items to get the tank started. I will start cycling the tank right after thanksgiving break. I've been to the local shops in des moines but i'm not impressed. 
    Things i'm looking for(stuff with a * is top of the list):*- Good pieces of live rock rubble*-Live sand-Reef capable light, LED's prefered if a good price, or i will prob be going DIY-Little heater like finnex 50watt- 2x Small powerhead like hydor 100gph powerheads-HOB filter
    Please let me know if anyones got any of this stuff... really the only stuff i'd wanna get asap is the live rock rubble and the sand so i can get the tank to start cycling. I have no problem buying everything else new.
    Thanks guys!Eric

2. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you go to Seascapes in Des Moines?

3. helitaiwan963

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes i did. I actually just came back from there today. To be honest, i wasn't impressed either. The fish didn't look very healthy, and the live rock wasn't very "live" and didn't have any coraline on it. The only thing i liked there was the little nanocube/biocube thing full of Acans and in the zero edge tank there was a maxi mini carpet i liked.
    They did have the hydor pico's but they didn't have the smaller ones i was looking for. the smallest one they had was the 180gph one. I figure 2x of the smaller ones placed in opposite corners would be better than one larger one.
    PS: i don't mean to offend anyone but i'm not impressed.

4. sblomgren

sblomgren Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I live just outside of ames. In between Boone and Ames. I could spare a scoop of sand and a little rock.

5. JoeVic

JoeVic Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have some dry rock and a bunch of sand you could use if you want.  I live in North Ames.

6. helitaiwan963

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be great! I don't mind paying for the rocks and stuff. I wasn't asking for freebies or anything. I probably won't be starting to fill the tank till after thanksgiving break for us (after the week of Nov 18th).
    Can you pm me about how many lbs of rock and sand you have for sale?
    Thanks!Eric

7. helitaiwan963

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please lmk how much you are looking for the rocks and sand and how many lbs of each you have. I probably won't use too much dry rock if the guy above has a few pieces of good live rock. Just to seed the tank and hopefully a short cycle.
    Thanks!Eric