1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

wtb clam

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what is the best place to buy a clam? and what kinda clam would a guy want for a reef tank thanks

2. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1st. Welcome to the club and thanks for posting!
    2nd. Where do you live? I sure some members can recommend a LFS and many use online vendors, although you may run into high shipping costs if you don't do a joint order with other members.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Also, welcome to the club and thanks for posting!

May I ask what kind of setup you have? Has it been up for very long and what lighting do you have? Clams can be very hard to keep and lighting is key. Some species are harder (much) than others. You probabally have already done your research (or are an experienced reef keeper) but if not ask away. Many have spent tons of cash $$ on nice clams only to see them whither away. We may be able to help you avoid that.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 30 gallon with one 175 watt metal halide 20k xm tank been up for over a year just seen clams in pet stores and like the looks of them but i been told thay can be hard to care for dont want to kill off a $60.00 clam due to my lack of knowing how to care for one and im from clinton iowa hopeing to move to demoines in the spring

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

High light is one main need. The other is as pristine of water conditions as possible. What are your params? In your opinion, do you think your params are good, great, OK??

A 175 over a 30 should be good. If that bulb is a year old you will want to get it changed.

Someone else can help me remember the sepcies names here andd correct me if I am wrong. The three common ones are Maxima, Crocea and Derasa. I think that is also in order from Hardest to keep to not as hard. But right now I am questioning myself on the last two.

6. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sup "N" Welcome!!! I have a Crocea from Adams in DSM, they have a ton and they are local. I purchased it to see how hard they are to keep, with great results I would recomend one! Cheap about $40 and quite active. Supplemental feeding 2-3 times a week w/Oyster eggs. Kinda boring colors but a great beginner Clam in my opp. Dave