1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB and get info on a good controller

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by adampottebaum, Oct 8, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I think my next dry goods purchase is going to be a controller. I was planning on buying just a PH probe, then remembered my Temp probe($5 pos) sucks so I already need to upgrade them, I might as well go all out and buy a controller to make things easier. What does everyone recommend? I'm pretty new and out of it when it comes to controllers, so here's what I want it to do:
    1. Monitor temp
    2. Monitor PH
    3. When temp gets above a predetermined setting turn on fan(in sump) or turn off heater/s.
    4. When temp gets below a predetermined setting turn heater/s on.
    5. Send info to my computer via ethernet cable.
    6. Turn on/off lights.
    7. Control powerheads.
    8. Shut off return pumps for feeding time(optional).
    9. Perform water changes, feed fish, clean tank, buy new salt...
    Ok so maybe not number 9, but these are basically the only things I really care if it does.
    If there's any other good things that anyone thinks I should have it capable of doing, please let me know.
    Also, if anyone has one for sale, let me know!
    Thanks, Adam

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you want an Apex, ACIII, or a Reef Keeper. Personally, I love my ACIII, but would love to see how the Apex performs.

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I've been looking at the AC3 since it's what everyone else has. I don't wanna buy one of the other controllers if no one can help me with it... I would probably buy a different one if someone has one used. I might start checking out the forums.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yup you need a Neptune. The AC3 is tride and true. I am sure the Apex will be great but it is too new to know yet.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the Reef Keeper and it has done great for me!!

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone of the three would do what you want. But if you think you might need help getting to do what you want it to (like I did) I would go with the ACIII.

7. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Never ever ever ever get a Reefkeeper!!!!!! AC3 or Profilux is the only way to go. If you wanna buy a Reefkeeper ive got a dandy!!!

8. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the apex and it is excellent.  Best features for the money.

9. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dave, do you have and expansion plug ins for the reef keeper, I purchased a reef keeper lite and absoultley love it... You will not beat their customer service second to none...

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Youve got to b kidding about Digital aquatics Customer service! Ive had better chats with my IRS man... Yes I have expansion sockets. As of now if you change a setting from the norm., it gets cornfused and wets itself until you put it back the way it ran before? Sounds dumb but so is a Reefkeeper!

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto to Dave on their crappy customer service.  I *almost* purchased a full setup from them, had the order all ready and everything, but then when I tried to enter it into their site, the discount code they had given me didn't work.  When I called their customer service, they would not honor it, even though they were the ones that gave it to me!  When they wouldn't honor it, I decided to hold off and shortly after, a nice, used AC3 became available here which I purchased instead.
    That being said, I've heard of equally crappy stories about Neptune Systems customer support.  When it comes down to it, buy based on stability (check out their support message boards and see what kind of problems people are reporting and how many people seem to be impacted by it, as well as their ability to fix issues quickly), the functionality you need, and the ability to expand.
    Also, for info on the capabilities and a good comparison chart, go to http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com
    --AJ