1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

WTB 200-300 gal beat up tank for sump

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by nivenethan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nivenethan

nivenethan

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Im looking for a used and inexpensive large tank to use for a sump. It can be scratched, drilled, whatever as long as it holds water and structurally sound. 200 gal +/- a few gal and would prefer it to be 6-8 feet long.
    Thanks,
    Darren

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could use a stock tank. One of those hard plastic ones. It maybe cheaper to buy one of those new.

3. nivenethan

nivenethan

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Could 2 or 3 be plumbed together and how would you install bubble traps?

4. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you wanted to use smaller ones, you could plumb them together and wouldn't have to worry about bubble traps until you get to the pump.  Then you could use acrylic to create a pool where the pump is.   Is your skimmer going to be plumbed externally or hang on?

5. nivenethan

nivenethan

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    skimmer will be internal and I will make a stand for it to sit on inside the sump. I was thinking the water level and bubble control could be managed by managing the influent and effluent heights of the plumbing between the multiple tanks....Have the drain sump flow off the bottom to the middle near the top and off the bottom again. This would force the bubbles to exit pipes at the top of each following sump tank...get it?

6. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand it. That's how I have my skimmer in my sump right now. You can't see my sump real well, but I posted pics of it in the photo forum, it's still on the first page.

I have a lot of bubbles from my drain in the first baffle and then again from my skimmer in the middle, but no bubbles near my pump. I didn't even need the first partition except to keep sand and live rock in my sump to stay put.

Where you put your skimmer at, you'll have to watch that water line daily. If you have the water high where the out put of the skimmer is, it will affect the skimmer if you water line lowers below the skimmer's exit pipe. I usually have my water line about an inch below the exit tube of my skimmer. If I put enough water in my sump and it raises to the outlet, the skimmer will foam inside the collection cup a lot more because it takes more pressure to push the water out of the skimmer than it did when the water line was below the outlet. So when I have my water higher, it kind of "backs up" in my collection cup.

7. 75g brat

75g brat Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 220 for sale let me know

8. nivenethan

nivenethan

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    sent you a message.

9. 75g brat

75g brat Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in council bluffs you have been talking to my father inlaw I will get the size in ins sorry in feet tommrow by the way I can get it to you. if you want it. pm me and give me your number and I will call you tommrow night. later jesse