1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

would someone want to frag my "open brain" at the swap saturday?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Mar 26, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was wanting my brain fragged i still haven't tried to do it, was wondering if anyone has done it and would be able to do it at the swap or not?  i will bring the bucket and water for it.  i also have a buddy that needs a bubble cut and some GSP on a rock cut down.  he would even be willing to possibly trade some of the gsp too.  just let me know, i'll be running the main table from 12-12:30 but should be there around 11

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I thought I remember hearing that brains were about the only corals that couldn't be fragged? Mabye I'm wrong, let me know how it goes...
    Adam

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I don't know about the brain or bubble but the green star poylps are easy to frag just pull a pice off the rock they come right off no need to dremil the rock.
    -Bill

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they could be, i read some where that you just use wetsaw for tile cutting to cut it in half, let it soak in a bucket cause the slime can kill other coral, then put back in tank. i have also heard of using just a chopsaw with a fine tooth blade

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't use a chop saw unless you don't like your fingers. You can cut most brains down the center with a dremel rather easily, the hard part is not stressing the coral out. Long story short, you have a good chance of killing the brain if you drag it to the swap...cut it....then drag it home. You'll have a much better rate of survival if you just fragged it at home. But i wouldn't cut it with anything other than a dremel or a tile saw, if you dont cut down the center you'll most likely kill the coral. And bubbles don't frag well unless there's a definitive break in the tissue, if there isn't there's a good chance you'll kill it if you frag it.

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well ok then that settles it :) thanks guys.

7. mppanp

mppanp

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That sucks I will have to live with a bubble taking up half of my 29g then.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Man bubble coral sucks anyway i use to have a fat one every couple of monts i would be missing a fish. Then one day i seen a fish tail sticking out of the bubbles mouth.
    -Bill