1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

worried about algae in tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, May 4, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to be patient about the algae (as I've been told/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/unsure.gif) but am worried because it's getting so much worse.  I tested PH, nitrite, ammonia, carbonate hardness and phosphate tonight and they all came back ok.  I do have carbon/phosphate remover in my back chamber.  I have 3 turbo snails and 6 snails and 5 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp.  Just did a water change 2 weeks ago.  Is there anything else I should test to check on my algae? Does this look like something I should be concerned about?   I have a piece that is like hair, 2 inches long!!  My fish, coral seem ok now but I just am concerned they may get effected by the algae in some way.  I've posted some photobucket pics of my algae, any advice would be helpful.  Even if it's just to tell me to be patient everything will be ok.  Thanks:) 
    http://s688.photobucket.com/album

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    let's try this again.  I think I messed up on my last one.
    http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/swacek/

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Just be patient!
    Looks like a normal part of a tank aging - algae bloom (green), diatoms (brown) and slime (red) that will all go away on their own with regular maintenance and a clean up crew.  Slime doesn't like flow so make sure you don't have any stagnant areas.
    Also, easier if you put the pics in the post as I had to find them in your saltwater album - I took the liberty [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Eric is right and he may know more about your tank, like size and how long it has been setup.
    You didn't mention Nitrates. Phosphates and Nitrates are the two most important parameters to measure for algae problems since it is their food. You didn't mention what those numbers were, especially phosphate. If your Nitrate is above 10 or so and this is a new tank then it is time for another 20% water change (with 0 TDS RO/DI). Water changes, macro algae and a nitrate reactor are the only way to export Nitrate.
    Also, don't know the size of the tank, but I would say about a 24 gallon nano?? You should maybe think about more clean up crew that is pretty slim. Also, from the pics it doesn't look like you have much flow. That will help with diatoms, but maybe I just can't see the flow makers.
    Or you can just wait and see if it goes away, it very well might. But everything I listed you will probably have to get started on anyway for long term success so might as well get to it.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much Eric for posting the pics for me.  I'm not sure how to do that.
    I have a 29 gallon biocube, had it since March 1st. 
    I do have an extra pump in there for flow.
    My test results last night were:  PH=8, nitrite=0.3, ammonia=0, carbonate hardness=7, phosphate=0.2,
    I did nitrate this morning:  nitrate=10
    I'll try and be patient, it just doesn't look real pretty in there right now/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif  I had a tank before at my work and guess I'd forgotten it going through this stage, just remember how beautiful it was!

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I would defiantly add a dozen or so more turbos and maybe try adding another pump or get a bigger power head to give it more flow. Keep up on your water changes and be patient! It will clear up it just takes time.
    Hope this helps!!
    -Rick-

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went through the same thing with my 10g nano. There is still a rock with a bit of algae on it, but the res are clean. I do have about 20 snails and a bicolor blenny in there though. As joel said, up the cleanup crew! :) The way I got rid of the slime is I upped the flow to the whole tank. Now it has been about a month since I have even had to clean the glass :)
    I am curious, how long have you had the tank?
    Best of luck!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Had the tank since March 1st.  Sounds like lots of people agree add to clean up crew so I can definitely do that.  Also I've got the extra pump just shooting toward the back of my tank, maybe I could shoot it out more toward the middle to get more flow.  Just didn't want to shoot it right at any coral or anything, but it'll probably be o.k.

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How many gallons per hour is that pump and also include the flow from a sump if you have one. With a 29 Gallon you will want 10x turnover minimum higher for SPS. So a minimum of 300 GPH.

10. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't see anything to worry about, your tank is still new and the rock was dead at startup. Untill recently you relied on biological filtration and what you see is exactly that. Now that you have your media bag and your skimmer or filter cartridge things will clear up in time. I wouldn't go crazy on a cleanup crew, once your tank's nutrients are lower there will be less algae and I'm assuming your going to have your glass clean at all times so with such a small tank many will perish over time. If you insist on more a dozen max

Although the pump is small it packs a pretty good wallup, between the pump in the back and the extra your a little over 600gph...

Just watch the feedings, keep your daylight bulb at 8 hrs right now, another good waterchange this weekend if possible, and BE PATIENT!!

11. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am in the same boat, dont worry it'll work out. i'm working on a few spots of slime now and i got some of the bright green stuff too, but i have about the same amount of cleanup crew as you, but more crabs and i have a 125 haha. my sump on the other hand is growing algae like its its job

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know it's pretty normal.  Thanks for the reassurance everyone.  I think I'll add a few more turbo snails and I did switch my lights so my daylights are only on 8 hours a day now.  Was about 10 I think.  I moved the pump so it's shooting a little more toward the middle but not right on anything.  This weekend I'll probably try and do another good water change.  Thanks again.[​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not great news on the algae front.  I've been patient, haven't posted for awhile was hoping things would straighten out.   As soon as I manually remove it within a day or 2 it grows back as bad as ever.  Long stringy hairlike looking stuff covering both the rocks and the sand. Some at least 3 inches long. 
    ok so I've done a good water change, changed my phosphate/carbon bags in the back, have been keeping up with cleaning out my protein skimmer and sponge, cut back from feeding 2X to 1X a day. Thought about adding a few turbo snails, but the ones I have now don't spend any time on the sand and that's where it is the worst. 
    What else can I do?  I checked my nitrate was 0, I think my phosphate was 0.2.  Heard that should read zero as well.  I want to start adding more coral, fish, but should I wait until the algae is more under control first?  My fish/coral seem just fine.  The algae has been really bad for like 3 weeks now.  If this is fairly normal how long should I expect this stage to  last?  Any advice would be awesome...  Thanks:)  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif 

14. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    did you use new rock/ sand or did you buy from an aged tank. also how deep is the sand. It sounds like your pulling phosphates from the sand and the rock, your nitrates would read zero because the algae is sucking it up. How much flow is in the tank?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sand is probably about 1/2 inch deep, 1/4 in some places. 
    Between the pump in the back and the extra one on the side flow is over 600gph
    Rock was soaked in bleach solution after being removed from dead tank, it's neither cured or uncured rock.  I also added 1 peice of live rock to it.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Almost forgot, I bought the sand new