1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Worm ID & Re-home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    In taking down our 300, we discovered 3 large worms. Two are like this one (believe it to be a bobbitt). As you can see, it is nearly 3' long. We have put all 3 in our QT tank for now in case there is any interest in someone having them in a species tank. If anyone is interested in them, consider them yours. We will likely dispose of them in a few days if there is no interest.

Worm 1 by yardstick.jpg

worm 1 mouth.jpg

worm 1 in QT.jpg

The other kind of worm actually broke in half so the pic below is only half of it (total length at 16"+). Is it a large bristle worm?

Worm 2 by yardstick.jpg

Worm 2 mouth.jpg

Worm 2 in QT.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Ewe...Creepier Crawlies! Weight the lids down!!

Yes, head looks like a bobbitt

3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

4. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Screenshot_20200316-114548_Google.jpg

5. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    very cool most of these things are beneficial but I am guessing people will be scared to death of them. The general rule is to remove the giant ones because who knows what they are eating when you aren't looking. The tank I had when I was a teen, don't ask how long ago that was, had 6 inch worms that looked like millipedes in the under-gravel. I am sure they just help keep the gravel clean and free of detritus. Side note becareful of letting anything like that near your skin, a bite or other defense mechanism might mess you up. word of caution to the wise. :)