1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

wont eat

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so my grouper or lionfish will not eat. I have tried about 4 days know with frozen brine shrimp. will i have to feed them live?

2. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i used to have both and i always had to feed live items to my lion but i had great luck with frozen shrimp and baby scalops with the grouper.

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    give em time need to get good and hungry and i would try silver sides brine is pretty small for big fish, you wouldnt want blades of grass on your salad instead of lettuce

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you don't want to feed live feeders. Then go to hy-vee or somewhere like that and get raw shrimp. That is what I used to feed my grouper and lion fish. Just take the tail off and cut in half.

5. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i bought some krill online for now. i will also go to hy-vee. I know I will feed them live as well. that was the reason I went with predator tank. It is fun to watch them chase and hunt the live

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I use to have both and I always fed them gold fish feeders they die fast but usealy don't last long enough to find out. Some people say not to do this cuz it is bad for your fish bull shi... I did it for 2 years fish were always happy and healthy.

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I had a 12" lion for about 3 years. Fat pig ate cheap frozen squid. My grouper ate any live fish that would fit into its mouth- even if the tail would stick out. Thawed and cleaned salad shrimp worked too.

8. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you said that you bough it online. Did you know that pets playhouse sells it too for only like 4 bucks and you dont have to wait for it to get here or pay shipping

9. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i didn't know that. thanks. i go there all the time.

10. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can also try jumbo mysis, hung sells it most of the time, be careful on feeding krill all the time, fish love it but it can kill them in a year or so. the most important thing is to get them on a varied diet. fish like this have a tenancy of only accepting invertebrates, but if you can get them on some type of fish meet it will be very helpful to their health. if you do end up only getting them to accept a small variety of food, then i'd recommend soaking their food in a vitamin like selco. i also found that my fish in my predatious tank are a lot more active and willing to accept food when i keep the temp around 78, I had it closer to room temp for a while and nobody was near as hungry.

good luck.

11. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    after the meet today i stopped by pet's playhouse. I bought some ghost shrimp and some silversides. My temp. is about 78. they enjoyed the ghost shrimp. I will try the silversides tomorrow or monday. How much should i feed them in a week.

12. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Is it a dwarf fuzzy lion?
    If your fish are smaller I'd try live feeder guppies or rosies.
    You could set up a cheap tank and buy feeder fish in bulk so you are ready when company comes over to watch.

13. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no it is just a dwarf lion. i bought about 8 of those ghost shrimp. the lion had about 2. damn grouper. lion will have to be a little faster next time. Yeah i thought about another cheap feeder aquarium